Slow internet. What do you look for first to remedy?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jazzandmetal?, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

Running a new macbook > Wireless Router > Cable modem. I am using safari. My internet seems to be moving slow. What do you look for first in this situation. I have already reset safari. Thanks in advance.

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I just power cycle the modem and router. A comcast tech told me to unplug the router first, then the modem. Let it stand 20 seconds, then plug in the modem first, then the router. It seems to work for me. YMMV

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i use fire fox to seems to be far superior in speed than safari :)

4. Antimatter macrumors regular

I installed FireFox thinking it would be faster and better than FireFox, yet I never use it.

Safari is much faster at start up and it loads faster for me.

5. elmo151 Guest

how are you connected?

ask your ISP if there is a problem
    try a different time of day. with cable companies you share a circuit with your neighbors

is your router configured properly?

and, of coursr, restart!

6. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Earthlink connection problems

I use Earthlink and Time Warner and have had connection issues since Thursday evening. I did update using Software update for QuickTime earlier that evening.

I cannot connect using my MBP either (wired or wireless) from my home. Reset modem and router. Called Apple Care. No luck.

The PCs in my home connect without any problem.

I called Earthlink that says the wait time is too long and I need to call later or use the internet. Duh. So Earthlink is having issues to clog their phones.

Time Warner says that they have had many similar complaints in the last 24 hours, primarily from Mac owners. If sites load at all, it is text and no pictures. They are working on it.

FWIW