Slow internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arfus, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Arfus macrumors member

Hey! I got a issue my internet is so slow it downloads iat 1.5mbps but i have 30/30 from my ISP. what to do? its connected straight to the Router from my ISP. I dont have a WI-FI ROuter. I do but i dont use it yet. just got it.

Thanks
    Arfus

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How did you test the download speed of 1.5Mb/s? Do you have a link maybe?

Btw, what does the "30/30" mean? Does your ISP promise your 30Mb/s down- and upload speed?

And what Mac OS X version do you use, with what browser (version) and do you upload anything in the background?

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Did you run a speed test?

http://www.speedtest.net/

I don't know who your ISP is, but with me 9 times out of 10 (actually 10 out of 10--but I'll give them a slight break), it is either my cable company or Road Runner that is causing the problem (usually the cable company). I usually just let it pass to see if they get it fixed on their own since it can take hours on the phone with them as they go through their checklist. So do be sure that the problem is indeed on your end.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It could be your router. Plug the computer directly into the modem and check your speeds again.

I was experiencing slow internet speeds (768 kbps) and had no idea what why. I took the router out of the picture and was hitting 14 Mbps speeds. Turns out my router was bad ... at least I got 7 years out of it.

5. jwaldrop macrumors newbie

Don't randomly start changing settings

Before you randomly start changing settings, you need to determine whether it is an Internet problem or a problem inside the home. Use this packet loss test to find out. Assuming your ISP has you set-up correctly, packet loss and latency is present where your speed is being killed. If it doesn't find any significant issue with your ISP or modem, then try connecting your computer directly to the modem and run your speedtest again.