Slow internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dukebound85, Mar 23, 2011.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So I moved into an apartment and I have to pay for half the internet (my share is 35 bucks).

The internet is from Comcast and when running speedtest, I get a DL of ~.55Mbps and an UL of about 2.5Mbps

This is really slow. Is there something wrong? I have been testing this repeatedly the last week, since i have moved in. Is this really what 70 a month for internet consists of? I am so used to promotional bundles or having it included in my rent

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why don't you login to Comcast's website and check what customers in your area are buying for $70.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hmm, tested my connection today and it was about 5Mbps. I then started up Netflix, loaded fast and like within 10 seconds, it had to adjust due to slower internet. I then tested again and it is at .5-.6 Mbps

Is this a case of being throttled? If so, how can I change it? I do have access to the router settings...

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I have Comcast, I pay $70/mo (no promotion), and I see real-world download speeds in excess of 2 MB/s. Obviously, something is wrong. I'd contact Comcast Customer Service and see if they can fix it. Most likely they'll need to reset the line or replace your modem.

Also, this isn't exactly an OS X issue.

5. dukebound85, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thanks. Think it is a setting in the router by chance though?
    I know but what other category should I have placed it in?

edit: I disabled wifi protected set up to manual and my speeds jumped from .55Mbps to almost 10Mbps. Much better