Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Hi, I have the new MacPro and I've noticed that I'm getting slow download speeds. The same happens on the Bootcamp running XP. However my old pc runs fine. I've also have updated and it did nothing.

Any clues whats going on?

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
I ran Network Diagnostics and no problems were found. My signal strength is around 75%, but I still get around 10 - 40 kb/s not unless I restart the computer then its goes to my normal speed which is 120 kb/s. Is this an wifi airport hardware issue? Like I said, I have updated to 10.5.2.

geon

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I have no idea. But, I would unplug the modem and router and then plug them back in and then restart the Mac Pro to start. That is if you haven't already. Good luck.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
It may be no consolation but but there's been many reports of abysmal MacPro wireless performance and intermittent stalls. Somewhere there is a post about rearranging antenna connections, and speculation that 10.5.2 has a bug. I'm about 15 feet from my airport extreme and get less signal level (-68dbm at the airport) than an iMac 60 feet and four walls away (-44dbm).

Let us know if you find a fix.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
It may be no consolation but but there's been many reports of abysmal MacPro wireless performance and intermittent stalls. Somewhere there is a post about rearranging antenna connections, and speculation that 10.5.2 has a bug. I'm about 15 feet from my airport extreme and get less signal level (-68dbm at the airport) than an iMac 60 feet and four walls away (-44dbm).

Let us know if you find a fix.

It does stall quite often. I ran a ping test and theres around 50+% packet loss. However, it works fine using ethernet. I'm going to take card out, rearrange the wires and see if there's any change.

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

Could it be incompatibility with your Router?

I'm running a DLINK wireless router connected to my 8MBPS Cable Connection (Just moved and they don't have FIOS... man... got REALLY used to that 15MBPS Connection!!!)... and my download speeds are almost 1 Meg per second... through wireless...

The Router is 2 rooms and about 35 feet away, fwiw.

The reason I question the compatibility issue... is... A) It would happen on both Boot Camp and OS X if there was a wireless card / router combo that didn't like each other for some reason... and... B) I have a weird wireless issue myself... and I think it's something weird with the DLINK router I'm using... IF I SET THE WIRELESS BROADCAST TO NO ENCRYPTION... it works fine both in BootCamp and in OSX...

However, if I set up WEP or WAP... It connects great in OSX... but XP through bootcamp NEVER ASKS ME FOR A USERNAME AND PASSWORD when trying to connect to the wireless network, and therefore can't connect.
:mad:

DLINKS tech support was about as helpful as a sack full of lead weights to a drowning person...

So... my point being...

There might be some weird interaction going on between your Mac Pro's wireless adapter and whichever router you are using.

You might try a different brand (audition temporarily) from a store with a 100% Return Policy... lol.

That said... also make sure your Router has the latest firmware patch applied.

Cheers! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.