Slow internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Geoff., Jun 3, 2009.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Hi i just got my new white macbook today and so far everything is going fine apart from the slow internet which i am currently using now. Its a 1Mb ZyXEL router which is quite fast on my desktop but when i use it on my new mac it is slow to load pages and really really slow to download programs. Whats up ? / What can i do to speed it up ? Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have all updates? Have you tried it with exactly same web pages (because it can also be a server error in web page)

Can you plug your MB to your modem so you can see if it's router error or is it in the computer itself

3. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Firstly, is it a wired or wireless connection (I'm assuming wireless?) if that is the case, and your desktop is wired then it's going to be slower.

Also, in your macbook what network card is there? Is it a b/g or an n capable card? Obviously N will be of a higher speed than a G and closer to what you would achieve on a wired connection.

And do you have all the latest updates installed yet?? In case there are any updates for your hardware or anything... (not likely, but maybe)??

4. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I didnt do all the updates because it required a restart and i just got my macbook literally like half an hour ago and i wanna mess around with i because ive never used one before. I will update it later on. And no there is no difference in speed in different web pages. It was extremely slow to download firefox which was only 17 mb. Btw i just installed firefox and it is quite faster than safari. I think i should be fine now with mozilla.

5. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Sounds likes something is still up though, since having run both, safari should be faster that firefox...

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

INSTALL THE UPDATES

It can have drivers for your router. It shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes.

7. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Well i noticed speed was a lil bit faster on mozilla but not much. Its not really really slow like but it is noticely slow compared to my desktop oh and to my mothers dell laptop which i often use.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Still, INSTALL THE UPDATES, NOW!

They're not just for "I install 'em when I have time if I want" they're recommended to install when they're available.

9. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

10. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

In updates it has a few and a update for Mac OS X it says

The 10.5.7 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.

Is this updating my leopard from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 ?

Should i install this ?

11. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Yes, install every freaking update it tells you to!! :)

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It says it's recommended so DO IT! Always install every update that is available (if you're suspicious, check MacRumors Forums for information)

13. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Thanks. Update just finished installing so now i have 10.5.7, Firefox is fast so all is fine so now :cool: