Slow Internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SurferMan, Aug 6, 2010.

1. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Think I posted this in the wrong section before as got no replies:

Been months and issue is still the same, why does my desktop work blazing fast online from browsing to loading streaming videos etc. And my Macbook Pro can't, its a little slower browsing online which I can put up with but youtube, rottentomatoes, basically any streaming type site sucks. And it doesn't matter whether it's by wireless or connected directly by ethernet. It just buffers like every 15 seconds (does the samething on Safari and Chrome). I mean before my 4 year old HP laptop died it could load videos on those same sites almost instantly with no buffering.

I have a friend with an Imac that does the same thing, and a buddy brought over his MBP 15 and same thing happened like at his house, and I showed him how fast the desktop is in comparison.

I just moved to a new condo, have high speed internet from Comcast, and its def not the internet since the desktop works perfect. Any ideas on what to do as I use this MBP more being I carry it around the place and its so irritating knowing how quicker my desktop is, and that desktop is 2 years old.

I've tried different DNS etc and that helped a little bit (was a lot worse before) but still sucks, this is what I have inputted from this forum under DNS servers:

2. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Have you tried these two things...
    1.) resetting safari
    2.) resetting your router (when I reset my router (by removing the power source from it) I wait at least thirty seconds before I reconnect the power.)

I think Safari is notorious for slow internet problems. Ironically, I am on Safari now. I also have "SeaMonkey" which is like the Mac version of Window's "Mozilla". I actually think "Mozilla" would work for MACs but I didn't download the right version. I wanted a certain feature included. Basically the "suite".

Those two things should help.

PS. Have you tried an alternate web brower?

3. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

yeh have chrome on here also and same thing except chrome is at least quicker than safari. Resetted router etc, but that wouldn't matter as the desktop is connected wirelessly in the other room and its blazing fast online, youtube, rottentomatoes etc all those vids load basically immediately, the mbp just buffers and buffers and buffers. But I have a friend with an iMac and another with an MBP and have the same problems.

When I was in GA happened to go into an apple store at the mall, went to youtube and same thing, even in the store it just buffered. This is ridiculous... pay all this money for a laptop that can't even load streaming videos?!?!

4. mainomega macrumors 6502

Funny thing is.. when at my girlfriends house.. the internet is super slow while all the other pcs are fine. But at my house both pcs and MPB are fast.

Same comcast service just a different router and cable modem... we gave up trying to find the problem and live with it. lame though

5. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

yeh it sucks, and my friends Macs have the same problem, and the apple store i was in same thing, the MBP 15 I used kept buffering on a few streaming sites. But also its the slowness on forums like this and others, where my 2 yr old pc can blaze page to page like whenever I click something. I feel like I have an expensive paper weight with this mbp 13.

I did a speed test and got this:
    download 3.74 mb/s
    upload 1.62 mb/s

sucky, my desktop on same wireless network is way better.

6. Argon21 macrumors member

You're doing something wrong. I've never had any problem with any of the 5 different Mac's I've owned connecting to wireless. Not on Linksys, Cisco, or D-link wireless access points.

Try updating the firmware on your access point.

If your problem is only with Flash videos (like youtube), update your Flash player. I'm betting yours is very old and out of date. Get the latest version 10.x Adobe Flash player. Mine works perfectly, even HD videos on youtube, no buffering or slowness. I have a Late 2006 Macbook Pro, it's 4 years old now, works perfectly.

7. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Flash is fine, current versions. Doubt its the router since the pc works perfect wirelessly. But I can't figure out how to update the firmware as now when I connect by ethernet its asking me to install the comcast package for new customer, well can't do that as it needs Rosetta, and says install your os-x cd and open optional installs and double click the icon to install but doesn't do anything, it won't let me choose which ones to install except for printer drivers which doesn't make sense. But when you go back to the comcast dmg file it gives the same error message, Rosetta unavailable... i give up lol, I've never had one issue figuring something out on pc's for years, but this macbook has me stumped on stuff and I've had it since may.

8. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

WOW, I think I finally figured out the issue. Seems the MBP doesn't like cheaper or G wireless routers, I even tried a more expensive G and same problem. So I dropped a nice wad on an top line wireless N router and seems to work perfect now. And sure enough my friends that have issues with their apple computers are using normal G wireless routers. With this new router my MBP is as fast as being plugged directly by ethernet. Videos sometimes still buffer but 95% of the time when streaming it loads fast and smooth.

What doesn't make sense to me though is why my pc and laptop work perfectly and fast on a cheap wireless router or one of the top G ones. And the Macbooks won't????

Even browsing online is fast finally. Still doesn't explain why at the Apple store browsing was fast but streaming vids like youtube had the same issue I was, maybe too many people in the store on the network?