Slow iOS 4 Backup Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsgiantsfan, Jun 21, 2010.

1. metsgiantsfan macrumors newbie

Anyone having the same issue...Same screen (see attached) for an hour and a half so far

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. diiamond89 macrumors member

diiamond89

3. metsgiantsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Found something...Give this a try:

"To bypass the long backup:

Download the iOS 4.0 from iTunes. Backup the iphone manually. Then shift and click restore instead of update. Browse to username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates and restore from that file. After iTunes has installed the OS...instead of setting up as a new phone just restore from a previous backup. This should not take more then 20 minutes to complete and its much quicker then waiting for the backup using the update option."

4. jtc103 macrumors newbie

been waiting for 3 hours!

Been sitting here for about 3 hours now.. here's where I am (attached photo)

It is driving me insane!!! I don't know what I should do... leave it or just wait it out

Attached Files:

5. metsgiantsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Will let you know if it works in a couple of minutes...I can tell you now that the restore file is in the Library directory (then iTunes, etc), not where the previous quote said it was.

6. metsgiantsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution

Remember to backup first (right click on iPhone name on left side menu). Then restore to old firmware (option/click not shift/click). Then restore backup. Did not take long at all. Good luck and have fun using iOS 4.

7. jtc103 macrumors newbie

So your saying we should just abandon what we have now and do that? and does this work for window users? i'm not exactly computer savvy haha.

8. metsgiantsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I can only say what it has done for me on Mac OS X. I would abandon it, but you should make your own decision.

9. MikeTriGuy macrumors newbie

hoping this works

I had the eternal backup going on my iPhone 3G. This solution is working so far, using Mac OS 10.6.4. No going through the "restore prior backup" instead of "new phone". Will post results.

10. MikeTriGuy macrumors newbie

Solution works

metsgiantsfan has suggested a solid solution - RECOMMENDED.

to reiterate...
    1. download the 4.0 update
    2. IF you're stuck in backup for too long, cancel the backup
    3. alt/shift "restore" and find the 4.0 update under user/library/itunes/..etc. From here, iTunes will install OS 4.0.
    4. When that completes, choose to restore from a backup instead of "new phone". You're all set.

Be sure to do a backup before you start this process.

Thanks for a good solution metsgiantsfan. Cheers.

11. whshep macrumors newbie

This alternative process seems to work, and by some reports it's required for the 3G phone. But I'm not sure it's going to save any time. All it does is provide a better accounting of what's going on.

Right now the restore backup process, which has been running for well over an hour, is copying file #83 of 1195. This was after it restored each and every piece of software individually. This was after it wiped the phone clean and installed the new operating system.

So the only difference, as far as I can tell, is that instead of watching the blue line on the backup window not go anywhere for over an hour (and wondering if the process has crashed), I get a play-by-play recounting of what's getting installed on the phone.

I wonder if restoring files to a new iPhone 4 will take this long.

12. audiobloke macrumors newbie

Restore OS then Restore from Backup

I have a 16GB 3G iPhone and had a similar problem of backing up taking many hours.
    The above solution works well.
    Download but don't install IOS 4
    Manually Backup your iPhone.
    Then click Restore while holding the shift key. A msg box will say it will restore your phone's OS to the latest version. (I didn;t have to browse to it)
    The phone then restored the new OS and upgraded the firmware (all in about 10 minutes)
    It then recognised that I had previously backed it up and asked if I wanted to restore my settings. This took about 10 minutes.
    The restore worked well and all my wi-fi & email settings were there etc but google calendars & contacts took a few minutes of internet connectivity to sync back my 300 odd contacts and my various calendars.
    All apps, music & photos had to be synched asgain as they were missing.
    Still looking like it will be quicker though.
    Good luck.

13. patrice.0x0x macrumors newbie

Software download?

How exactly do I download the 4.0 software without installing? I'm confused.

14. spiderstorm macrumors newbie

iPhone update problems

I have an iPhone 3GS and have been trying to update it to the iOS4 since it's been released. Here's my problem I have never backed up my phone on this comuter (PC) before. Will I have an issue with doing this alternative back up because of this. Right now I'm just a little over half way of the back up, which has taken 6 hours now. Should I let it continue doing it's slow back up, or will this alternative work. (Crosses fingers)
    Thanks for any ideas and/or help on this matter.

15. jtc103 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with the backing up situation, but fortunately, I have found an alternative to get this update, which is really simple and quick. First make sure you either copy down all the important information from your phone down because by doing this alternative way, it will erase all your contacts, notes... etc. So basically it is resetting it to factory settings.

So go to this site http://ios.e-lite.org/
    locate your device and then download and save the link right next to your listed device. Second, open up iTunes and click the restore button WITH the shift key at the same time. A window will pop up asking you which file to choose, so you locate the file you saved earlier and Voilà! There you go, you just sit there and wait till the iPhone upgrades... takes about 10-15 mins. Very quick and easy. Hope I helped!

16. skwerlabusr macrumors newbie

IPSW file location

Add me to the slow backup club :/
    The location for windows is: C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\

I prefer to use the ones from iTunes instead of downloading them from the internet because you know they are the latest and legit. :)