Slow iTunes - AAC question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Smighty24, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Smighty24 macrumors member

I currently have about 75 gig of music and close to 500gig of ripped movies and TV shows on my iTunes. I am now experiencing some slowness within iTunes. It takes about a minute to open iTunes (which doesn't bother me at all), but when I want to listen to a song I click on it and it take anywhere from 15-20 seconds for the song to play. I have noticed that if it's an AAC formatted song is usually plays instantly. So i'm wondering if I just convert my library to all AAC if that would do the trick. My question is will iTunes change the flies to AAC or makes a copy of the files in AAC format? Please help!

2. Ashburton88 macrumors newbie

Ashburton88

If you set your importer settings to AAC then select every item you want to be AAC you can convert them. This will create a new copy of the file in AAC format.

Once this is done you can simply enable the "kind" column in the list view, select all the old files and delete them, then iTunes will give you the option to remove the files too, and voila you have an AAC only iTunes library.