Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StrangeCargo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
About a week ago, while listening to a certain song on my iPod, I noticed that it was playing slightly slower than it should be. Since then, there have been many other incidents on both my iPod and iTunes, where the songs are played slower than normal.

At first I tried crosschecking this with the respective youtube vids, or with playing the same file on the VLC player at the same time, so I know that the songs do play back slower and that it wasn't just me or something.. Half the times the result was that the the songs started playing at the same time, but as the time passed, the one on youtube or VLC would run ahead of the one on iTunes/iPod, and half the times they would start together and end together too, as if nothing was wrong (even though it still didn't sound right to me so I suppose that both sources played it slower than expected).

When I tried doing the same thing by playing a song on iTunes/iPod and on a stereo from the original cd at the same time, I saw that, all of the times, the one playing on iTunes/iPod would eventually fall behind. So this leads me to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the playback speed of audio in general on my Mac and is not solely an iTunes matter. (Please note that there is nothing wrong with the song files themselves because most of them have been in my library for, like, ages, and have always been played back just fine.)

I googled my problem but none of the pages I came across was of any help because none of them talked about the same problem I'm having.. Although I did came across many pages in forums and stuff, talking about the playback speed setting for audiobooks in iPod, and tried setting the Media Type of some songs to "Audiobook" and setting the audio playback speed on my iPod to Normal and then checking if it did any good (and it did), I couldn't possibly do this for all my songs because, first and foremost, the speed was only fixed on the iPod playback, NOT on iTunes (remember, the audiobook speed setting is only available on iPod), and any track that I tagged as "Audiobook", was no longer under the Music tab in iTunes, but in Audiobooks, and that won't work for me..

Does anyone have anything to suggest, anything at all? What could possibly be the reason for this UTTERLY frustrating problem? What could I do to try and fix it? Thnx in advance..

P.S. The funny thing is, when the whole problem started one week ago, I was working on my previous OS, and have since formatted and reinstalled it (for other reasons), and only moved 3 applications and their respective Application Support folders from the old one (iTunes [and its library], Firefox and aMSN), so we are talking about a newly installed OS here. Could it be something that I have installed now that is causing the problem? In any case, here are some basic characteristics about my system (prompt me for any further):

• OS X 10.5.6
  • 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • iTunes 8.0.2
  • Last.FM 1.5.3.45507
  • VLC 0.9.8

tomlinsonj

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
I posted something very similar in the apple support discussions website. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2736253&tstart=0

You are correct that there is a drop in tempo and you are correct that it is frustrating once you recognize that it's there. I think many users either don't notice or just live with it, but I would hope that the engineers at Apple would realize that enjoyment of the ipod and tracks purchased on itunes or ripped from a CD is dependent on the songs being played at proper tempo.

Any one else have any solutions or experience?

Thanks much.

standyng

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
About a week ago, while listening to a certain song on my iPod, I noticed that it was playing slightly slower than it should be. Since then, there have been many other incidents on both my iPod and iTunes, where the songs are played slower than normal.

At first I tried crosschecking this with the respective youtube vids, or with playing the same file on the VLC player at the same time, so I know that the songs do play back slower and that it wasn't just me or something.. Half the times the result was that the the songs started playing at the same time, but as the time passed, the one on youtube or VLC would run ahead of the one on iTunes/iPod, and half the times they would start together and end together too, as if nothing was wrong (even though it still didn't sound right to me so I suppose that both sources played it slower than expected).

When I tried doing the same thing by playing a song on iTunes/iPod and on a stereo from the original cd at the same time, I saw that, all of the times, the one playing on iTunes/iPod would eventually fall behind. So this leads me to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the playback speed of audio in general on my Mac and is not solely an iTunes matter. (Please note that there is nothing wrong with the song files themselves because most of them have been in my library for, like, ages, and have always been played back just fine.)

I googled my problem but none of the pages I came across was of any help because none of them talked about the same problem I'm having.. Although I did came across many pages in forums and stuff, talking about the playback speed setting for audiobooks in iPod, and tried setting the Media Type of some songs to "Audiobook" and setting the audio playback speed on my iPod to Normal and then checking if it did any good (and it did), I couldn't possibly do this for all my songs because, first and foremost, the speed was only fixed on the iPod playback, NOT on iTunes (remember, the audiobook speed setting is only available on iPod), and any track that I tagged as "Audiobook", was no longer under the Music tab in iTunes, but in Audiobooks, and that won't work for me..

Does anyone have anything to suggest, anything at all? What could possibly be the reason for this UTTERLY frustrating problem? What could I do to try and fix it? Thnx in advance..

P.S. The funny thing is, when the whole problem started one week ago, I was working on my previous OS, and have since formatted and reinstalled it (for other reasons), and only moved 3 applications and their respective Application Support folders from the old one (iTunes [and its library], Firefox and aMSN), so we are talking about a newly installed OS here. Could it be something that I have installed now that is causing the problem? In any case, here are some basic characteristics about my system (prompt me for any further):

• OS X 10.5.6
  • 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • iTunes 8.0.2
  • Last.FM 1.5.3.45507
  • VLC 0.9.8

well you got that right ...iv noticed this problem at once as iv listened to the first track on my new 4th generation i pod ........i kept on asking if anyone else had noticed the same issue and they kept telling me that everything was normal so i thought that the problems were my ears maybe :) any solutions found ? thank you

perry1023

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
I am having this issue now

What is going on? why would the output of the original file be altered?
It was a converted audio file over from QT. The audio was fine a few weeks ago. I have iTunes match but disabled it cause I'm not happy with it. The source file was originally made on the same machine and added to the same version of iTunes. No updates have been applied since the file was created. Strange

10.8.5 and 11.1.3 (8) 64 bit

Am I being FORCED to take an update? This is not cool. :(

perry1023

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
updates

updates fixed the issue. still mysterious. Apple is lagging under new management and feels reminiscent of M$ heyday. Oh well. The end is probably near. No open internet no privacy no freedom. Thanks idiots. You know who you are. :mad:

ace.neerav

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Did anybody find a solution? I am on an iphone 6 now and the problem persist. Its very annoying as my mind can make out the difference and the tempo is just not fine.

Its more annoying when i am high on pot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.