slow itunes rips

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kryptonitejesus, Oct 10, 2010.

1. kryptonitejesus macrumors member

My iTunes usually rips cds without error protection up to 16x or so, but lately today it's been in the low 8x's, is there anything I can do to help the speed a little bit? What cripples the CD rip speed the most? Drive speed? The cd itself? RAM? CPU?

Let me know, cause I got like 70 more cds to rip and I don't want it to take any longer than it has to. (They've all been ripped 192vbr AAC too, btw, nothing different)

2. Asylum Design macrumors newbie

make sure the cd's are as clean as possible. Any trouble reading can cause slowdowns. Also, to troubleshoot your drive, stick in and re-rip a previous cd that you know for sure ripped at 16x or so. This will at least give you some info regarding if you need to look at it from a media POV or a hardware POV.

My .02

3. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

iTunes has an option to do "error correction" while ripping. If this is enabled it will run slower then MusicMatch. Of course, any little scratch also won't give you a pop, like in MusicMatch. Assuming, of course, that you don't have any error correction enabled in MusicMatch.
    What I really think makes for the difference is that you are not only ripping, you are encoding as well. iTunes uses AAC, which is much slower to encode (although I believe QuickTime's and iTune's is the fastest so far) then the FHG FastEnc MP3 encoder that MusicMatch uses.
    Remember that "slower" isn't always, and usually isn't, a bug. Most of the time, something takes more time because it is doing a better job.