Slow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrAJR3, Oct 5, 2008.

1. DrAJR3 macrumors newbie

I have a 4 year old PowerBook G4 running a 1.33 Ghz processor with 2GB DDR SDRAM installed on a 50GB HD. I usually have OfficeWord and OfficeExcell open along with Safari, Mail and the Address Book. I close other applications after their momentary use. All of this worked great with Tiger, but when I upgraded to Leopard it became a crawling cat. I am plagued with frequent spinning color wheels of death. These lead to the application failing or simply taking a long time (several minutes) to resolve and give me back my computer. I have defragmented the HD several times and this improves things, but it's still "iffy." I have about 15GB free on the HD. My questions are: 1. If I upgraded the HD to a 100GB (or larger) would this eliminate the problem. 2. What HD (brand, size, etc.) should I install? Thanks a zillion!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think it's just that Leopard is a resource hog. You could upgrade the HDD to a 7200RPM kind, but you may still suffer slowdowns.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

I have a 1.5ghz Powerbook 12" with 1.25 gbs of ram (max) and a 250gb 5400 HD, as fast as a 100 gb 7200rpm HD.

I disabled Dashboard in Onyx when it was running Tiger. And it remains disabled in Leopard.

I have noticed that when I downloaded RealPlayer and some Adobe software it slowed down a lot. But it is running Leopard very nicely with Dashboard disabled.

I don't know if you can disable Dashboard in Leopard but you might try my Tiger trick if you upgrade your hard drive and believe me, you are due to upgrade. You have a 60 gig hd in there and that thing is SLOW.
    Upgrade the optical drive too to a dual layer while you are at it and see if you can't get a lot more time out of your G4 as I am.

P.S. I've run both the 100gb Travelstar Hitachi 7200rpm drive in this machine as well as the newer Western Digital 250gb hard drive at 5400rpms. They run identically. You really should not allow your hard drives to get too full and yours is old, too.

4. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

slow leopard! haha. i see what you did there...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Huh??? :confused:

I don't think the OP intended any puns.

6. macnvrbck macrumors regular

I must agree.. I just upgraded to Slow Leopard with the last gen Powerbook in my sig and same thing..... not ..... very ..... fast.....

Disable Dashboard in Onyx? What is that ?

7. California macrumors 68040

California

Onyx is a free download. Google it.

Allows you to disable dashboard. Saves CPU suck on PB G4s.