Slow Lion is what Apple should call it

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by JimKirk, Jun 22, 2011.

1. JimKirk macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

With apps saving states booting and rebooting take 4ever.

It is like 1995 again. Start computer get coffee b4 you can use it

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  3. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Not for me... Boot is at least as fast as Snow Leopard, if not faster.

4. soco, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

soco macrumors 68030

soco

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

[​IMG]

6. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Absolutely ludicrous post. My SSD iMac boots a whole faster with Lion than SL.

Windows 7 on the same hardware? Not so much. It takes literally minutes after the desktop appears before the computer is near usable. :mad:

7. wesleyh macrumors 6502

SSD may be as fast, but what about 5200 and 7200 RPM HDDs?

8. farmersland macrumors newbie

If you still have a slow HDD, you should uncheck "reopen windows when logging back in". If you have a SSD, Lion boots even faster than Snow Leopard. So there is no reason to call it "Slow Lion".

9. db1408 macrumors member

7200RPM 250GB, 100 GB free . . . other than the bugs, runs fast and boots quicker than SLeopard, unless i'm imagining it.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It's faster than Snow Leopard ever was at this stage of it's cycle.

11. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I think the OP's talking about the Resume feature, which I'd guess could take a while to complete depending on what was open when you restarted. I don't have Lion so I'm speculating.

12. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Lion is much faster at booting than SL for me. Even if it does restore what was open.

13. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

Lion (DP4, Update 1) performs much better almost all-around than SL on my older iMac (24" Early 2008, 2.8Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM). Boot up, shut down, app launching, etc are all faster.

About the only thing it has trouble with is it tends to max out my VRAM (ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB) over time and then the graphics get a little choppy here and there.

14. JimKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

i have a ssd

Shutdown on snow leopard was near instant. Now it takes up to a minute.

Sure the desktop loads quick but you can't use it because it is autoloading apps.

Like I said before it takes up to a minute.

This is retarded. I don't like this feature and will disable it if I can

15. labaom macrumors member

I have a Macbook white Unibody 4gb ram. Obviously my machine isn't a monster but it runs Mac OSX Snow Leopard very fast. Lion is definitely slower as it takes a minimum of 2gb ram. I notice in Activity Monitor it takes more. I shouldn't be forced to upgrade to 8gb (which is unofficially supported by my machine). Snow Leopard is faster and has better UI. Also, Mission Control REALLY sucks. I want old Expose as Mission Control uses less space for windows. It really is annoying.

EDIT: I think the problem lies within Graphic Drivers... on Snow Leopard everything is MUCH smoother. I wonder how long Apple will support Snow Leopard. We will have to see how long Leopard is supported to see how long. But really Lion is much less of a step up from Snow Leopard than Snow Leopard is from Leopard as internally, it is no different. I understand SL has optimization which means it can be better supported. But Lion really is a new UI Snow Leopard that is slower.

16. LazyMacGuy macrumors member

Personally I find it a much faster and smoother overall OS.

17. crashnburn macrumors 6502

It would make sense to see which hardware Lion is better on and which it is worse on..

18. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Yes, but only for the final version.

19. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with the OP is is slower in shutdown and bootup till the computer becomes useable. People on the 5400 HDD are going really feel it.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Whoa... just had a real good idea for you. Either:

1. Accept that Lion is still in development and wait until Lion is officially released.
    2. Go back to Snow Leopard.

...because complaining the way you are doing on this forum is not going change a single thing. At all.

21. Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

He might be trolling. But, on the other hand, we can't all just think 100% happy thoughts 100% of the time.

He is letting people know that his developer version of Lion is slow. In his opinion. So that's a warning to others who might not need it, but might be tempted to install to experiment. And if his advice keeps those people from prematurely installing Lion, then it definitely will change things for those people.

I'm planning on waiting for 10.7.3 at a minimum, before I install. In fact, although I own a family license of SL, the iMac I'm typing this on is still running 10.5.8. I haven't had a pressing need to update.

22. Atarikid macrumors regular

Because I needed to install my HD 5200rpm again for some backup reasons I can really say Lion boots faster on my MBP compared to SL. It is certainly not slower imo
    Shutting down, with window recovery turned off, is on par with SL (2-3 seconds).

But with my SSD it is lightning fast. It takes less then 10 seconds to boot (counting from pushing the on button).

IMO if Lion is booting slow there is most definitely something wrong with your setup.

Said this, graphically wise Lion IS slower (quartz debug shows this clearly).

23. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Apple's definition of Beta or Developer means just that, in other words its not, nor should it be expected to be, ready for use as your primary OS. Its not unusual for dev code to run slowly as much of the debugging code will still be in place. I blame Google's release to the public and keep calling it beta approach for the confusion.

24. reputationZed macrumors 65816

No, but your expectations about OS performance and stability should reflect the fact that Lion is still in beta. Understanding the realities of running beta software is not just thinking 100% happy thoughts 100% of the time, its understanding that you are being given early access to software which is still in development.

25. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

quote of the day!