Slow Lion re-install?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Utterchaos23, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Utterchaos23 macrumors member

Utterchaos23

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me out here....

I have an iMac running Lion upgraded from SLeopard. It's set up pretty much as I like it... except it's sloooow.

I have 2 x External HDD holding movies and photos .. a couple of TB's worth. My Music is on the internal HD as are all my apps (obviously?)

I've tried OnyX and ClamXav to speed things up a bit but doesn't really seem to make much difference.

What I'm thinking of doing is re-installing Lion. But TBH I'm dreading it. Reson being my 20+thousand of photos are all FaceTagged, I've movies that are 1/2 edited and waiting work, I run at least 3 websites from iWeb using SEO tool, I've Facebook contacts all synced and de-duped with Address book and iPhoto.... and 1 or 2 bits of dodgy software.. a Airport bridging my network and a 2TB timemachine

I fear all of this will die if i re-install... or at least it's take days to get everything back up as it was.

Here's where I need help....

is there any way I can, for instance, move apps onto an external HD before reinstalling Lion so as too keep them unaffected (inc. iPhoto or iWeb?)

Or is there any software that will remember what i have where and put it and move it all back after the install? (selected apps only - no point if it's all the same afterwards!)

Or maybe theres just a way of seeing (and logging?) why my mac is slow and fixing the root of the problem?

Anyway - enough waffle .. what d'ya think?

Cheers

J :cool:

2. Nusent macrumors newbie

Nusent

3. Utterchaos23 thread starter macrumors member

Utterchaos23

All of them :( ... (4gig the max my mac will take)