Slow load of Mind Map Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by burdekin, Oct 28, 2013.

1. burdekin macrumors member

I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro i am using for my university studies. It still runs Snow Leopard and is running well for a machine of its age. I have installed a new Mind Mapping Application on my machine however it is very slow to load this application. All the other applications are running ok and at the normal load time. Is there any way i can get this application to load quicker. When it does load it runs smoothly with no problems at all. Would an up date from 4 to 8 gig or ram help or installing an SSD drive instead be the thing to do. It is just this one application which is running slow at present for me. :confused:

2. onekerato macrumors regular

Which mindmapping application?

Many of the cross-platform mindmapping apps (Freemind, Mindjet, Xmind) are written in Java, and Java apps don't get much love on Mac OS X nowadays. Check software update if there's a Java update available.

You can also watch Console.app while the application loads to see if it's logging out any issues it encounters while it loads. Or, contact the developer to see if there's a obvious fix for slow load times such as trashing the preferences file.

It's unlikely to be an issue with your RAM or HDD since other apps run well.

3. burdekin thread starter macrumors member

Mind Mapping application

Thank you for your reply. I am using iMind Map. I checked again their site to ensure it is compatible with my my mac and my machine is within the specs. I have the version for ipad on an i pad 2 and it is great - works quickly etc. I am also using Simple Mind on both the macbook pro and i pad 2 which works very quickly on both devices. It is only jut the loading that is the problem. Once it is loaded it runs very quickly efficiently. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

4. burdekin thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved

Settings changed on the anti virus application - now much quicker to open the application along with other applications. As i need to access the university system on a regular basis i am required to have their recommended anti virus on my machine. :)