Slow loading of YouTube videos

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MythicFrost, Dec 8, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey everyone, I've got a 16GB 2nd gen iPod Touch and the newest AEBS.
    I've found when loading a YouTube video, it usually loads 5-10x slower than it plays, I may have to wait 15-30 minutes just to watch a 3-5m YouTube video (some actually don't finish loading, sometimes) (just listening to songs, most of them are black with lyrics on them so shouldn't be too large).

We have a cable modem that is connected to the AEBS. Is there any reason it loads so slowly?
    I can wait 5-7 minutes for a 3 minute video, but not 15-20... Ideally I'd like to be able to just start it and it loads fast enough it never stops to buffer again.

Is this normal behaviour for an iPod, it has a wireless G chip right (or is that wrong)?, but my mums MBP (with a G chip) loads them much faster wirelessly, obviously it's a bigger device, but I still think mine is going ridiculously slow.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? or know anything I could do that might help.
    Would appreciate it, thx.

EDIT: based on some searches, it appears a few people (if not a lot) have this issue, but I did not see any resolutions that would suit me, hopefully someone might have figured out how to fix this issue (or improve it).

2. lostime macrumors regular

i've had the same problem since I got my 3gs. Safari and the App store are really fast over Wifi but anything that streams video is ridiculously slow. I don't understand why and other users don't understand the problem, coming back with replies like "3g is faster than your wifi." I have a 10mb downstream and everything loads instantly using my computers. I can turn off the wifi on my phone and load a video from youtube faster on edge than using wifi, which is sad.

3. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

Same problem here. Watching a video starts to sputter soon, and it loads slowly. But I also have the problem loading QuickTime videos, too.

Incredibly or not, sometimes switching to 3G loads the dang video FASTER than using my own wi-fi - and I'm in an area with good reception, and NOT downloading anything while trying to watch a video. Pretty annoying, if you ask me...

Everything else downloads pretty fast, I'm on DSL at 6.0 Mbps

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not normal.

Make appointment with Apple Genius Bar

5. Quantum3 macrumors newbie

Hey I'm having problems to load you tube videos at maximum speed.

I have a 10MB down speed connection (1 MB upload speed) and I tested the speed by downloading stuff from a couple of websites and it works at full speed but many youtube videos aren't loading at full speed and others just almost instantly loads. Why this difference?

Thanks in advance,

Ø3 :)