Slow loading time with new Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thenumbersrbad, Nov 19, 2011.

1. thenumbersrbad, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011

thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

i just installed an airport extreme as my wifi router and have ran into a problem getting the forums page to load, the MacRumors front page loads, though the spinning keeps going like it's still trying to load the page but i can scroll up and down the page, but then when i click on the forums page it just sits and sits and sits and never loads, and if i switch to the wireless network that is upstairs the forums page loads.(this router for the other network is only 802.11g)

could this be because my Airport is the 802.11N 2nd Generation, and my modem is older? or is it something else?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Is it just macrumors or are other websites affected?

3. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

mostly macrumors but a few other site hang up in the process to load

4. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem when I first installed my Airport Extreme about a year ago. I found that when I changed the channel my Airport Extreme was using, my signal got much better and everything has worked fine since. Maybe give that a try.

5. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

thank you for taking the time to respond. so my airport extreme is on channel 3 (automatic)...is there a specific channel i should change it to? or is it maybe just a trial and error for it.

my extreme is an older version so i wonder if it's just maybe the modem or would that have anything to do with a wired connection? aka i'm using an ethernet cable right from the wall not the modem.

6. eljanitor, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

How old? I have experienced problems with the older versions of the AP extreme base station, and after some time I got tired of saying that there are better wireless routers out there and being ignored. I was at a place that used the older AP base station, and we constantly lost our wireless network. We had to hard reboot the AP all the time, we even installed a new one of the same model a few times just to have the problem repeat itself time and time again.

The Airport base station has never been my preferred favorite, but Apple has many other good products. When I think wireless networking I think Cisco, DLink, and Netgear. However the AP card in the Apple computers is and always has been an excellent card. I don't know if Apple has ever fixed the problems with the AP base stations that were out years ago. Try this link http://www.apple.com/support/airport/ for AP help. Or consider possibly buying a more recent model.

7. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

For me, it was just trial and error. I had a problem where I had to restart the AE too often and changing the channel fixed it for me. Since I changed the channel, everything has been great. I'm not sure how old your AE is, but I purchased mine about a year ago.

So, if I understand you, you have an Ethernet cable from the wall directly to the AE? Is it just bypassing your modem altogether?

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

Did you just apply the latest firmware?

I did, and it hosed up my non-5ghz functionality.

I reinstalled the old firmware, then reinstalled the latest and it solved the problem.