Slow Mac and Lots of Pinwheel!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jusacruiser, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

My Mac has been really slow lately. And my websites have been loading slow and "peeling."

I have done all the usual Mac Maintenance....Cleared cashe, deleted cookies, made sure not to many apps running. I even used "Washing Machine" and did a virus scan too!

But my Mac has still been creeping along. How can I make my computer faster?

Thanks!

2. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Computer still Slow

Computer still slow.....and suggestions to help make it faster.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

WHat specs do you have? What OS version are you running?

Have you installed any new programs lately? How much disk space do you have free?

These questions may help hazard a guess as to what area to look at first.

4. 8Apples macrumors member

8Apples

I had some serious issues as this, a few things that I tried that greatly helped.
    Provided that you have just started experiencing these problems, here are few things to try.

1. In Disk Utility check your primary hard drive for errors. If there are errors, there is an easy way to fix them.

2. In Disk Utility check your primary hard drive for permission errors. These can very easily be fixed right on the spot if there is an error.

3. Start removing apps that are starting up that you don't use/need. System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items.

That is a few things that you can start with. WE will need to get to the root cause of the problem. There are more experienced people that can help you with more.

8Apples.

5. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Could be the hard drive, either it's nearly full or it could be failing. This is probably worst-case scenario. But it definitely can happen. Do you have a backup?

To reiterate costabunny's post, more info about your system would be incredibly helpful.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. trevm999 macrumors member

I always start by checking the hard drive. I like to use SMART Utility to see if there are any reallocated sectors.

8. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I have tried your suggestions. No errors anywhere as far as I can tell.

My login folder does have a few weird items in it. For example, I have AdobeResourceSynchronizer and iTunesHelper. Do I need those things?

Thanks

9. 8Apples macrumors member

8Apples

Sorry, I'm still new to Mac myself. I'm a long time computer user, but just don't have that great of a working knowledge of Mac. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some pointers though. Wish I could help more.

8Apples.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You still haven't mentioned specs. Anyways if nothing is wrong with the hard drive the most likely culprit is insufficient RAM.

11. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

My hard drive has no errors, I have 4 RAM and half my hard drive is empty.

Could it be a battery issue?? I have a 2010 MBP.

Thanks.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A failing hard drive doesn't always show SMART errors. All your symptoms point to a failing hard drive. Replace it before it completely dies.

13. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Ok, thanks!