Slow Mac? Getting Hacked?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applekid, May 12, 2007.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Perhaps I'm a little paranoid right now, but I think someone has been attempting to or succeeded in hacking my MacBook Pro. It has random slow downs and won't go to sleep sometimes. It's on a school network, so somehow I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to find a way to get into my computer. Any simple command line or an app that check who's connected to my computer? Firewall is up and file sharing is off.

Or perhaps my computer is slow for other reasons. It's just particularly odd when I get color wheels with Safari with random webpages and the fact my computer won't go to sleep, but no apps are running. I can repeatedly hit sleep, but nothing will happen. At one point, my screensaver would not activate the screen lock.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't know whats wrong, but I can guarantee you you're not being hacked

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't see how that equates to getting hacked (which you aren't). You probably have some rogue software installed that is running. It wouldn't surprise me if its some PowerPC utility or something you've installed going haywire. I've had this happen with PowerPC HP printer stuff running on Intel Macs. Check Activity Monitor for anything PowerPC related. Also, for best performance switch off Bluetooth, Sharing services and/or Airport if you never use them. Finally, repair permissions using Disk Utility in your Applications / Utilities folder.