Slow Mac Pro boot up, something to worry about?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jshbckr, Jul 11, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

After installing the last OS X/security updates, my Mac Pro started taking well over a minute to boot up--much longer than my PowerBook.

I repaired permissions, didn't work. I archived and installed OS X again, didn't work. I reformatted and did a clean install, cut it down to about 30 seconds to boot, but that's still extremely slow.

Then I rebooted into Verbose mode and was getting a "kextd_watch_volumes: couldn't set up diskarb" that was holding up the boot for a good 30 seconds. I took out the PRAM battery, didn't help. I help command+option+p+r and zapped the PRAM (until it chimed a total of 4 times.)

That seemed to do something. Now, the computer boots in about 5 seconds. The Apple logo pops up instantly, but then I get the little spinning thing (Not beachball, the spinner that comes up after installing updates) that lasts about 5 seconds.

Then it just shoots straight to my desktop. No "Loading OS X" screen with a progress bar, just straight to the desktop.

Is this pretty irregular? Is it something I should be worried about? Could it be hardware based? I'm at work right now, so I can't call Apple.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Has it always taken that long?

I've got an 8-core with 5GB of RAM.

Do you get the spinner when you boot up?

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

To be honest I have never actually timed the boot time but I estimate it to be about 20 seconds.

Yes my boot-up time has remained (as far as i can tell) fairly constant.

No spinning beach-ball of death !!! .... thankfully :)

My Pro is a 4 core 2.66 with 6 Gb of ram

FJ