Slow Mac, Tried Everything

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noobsauce, May 9, 2010.

1. noobsauce macrumors member

I have tried repairing permissions, rebooting, verify disk and onyx. I do not have many apps installed, no login items, 5 items on desktop, 107gb left on my hd, no antivirus, and nothing processor or memory intensive running. Also, when i try to delete custom prefpanes sysyem prefernces freezes with the spinning wheel. Some apps (mainly keynote) often freeze unexpectedly causing me to lose all my work. Sorry if this is the wrong forum this is my second thread.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. MacBookDan macrumors member

Sorry for my useless suggestion but could you check the temperature of the CPU? You can download smcFanControl here and report the CPU temperature back here. Sometimes it can be to do with overheating if you've checked everything else.

(Mac user for 2days, so sorry for being useless)

4. noobsauce thread starter macrumors member

Idle temp 55C, Fan speed 3580rpm is this normal?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's not due to overheating as the poster said. It's due to something taking too much CPU. Run Activity Monitor and look at the processes running. Sort them by %CPU. If you have something over 50%, then report back for ways to fix it.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...must've already tried that

...would be a subset of the class "everything" ;)

Maybe it's the OS, which is, um, I don't know.

But reinstalling with the same version's Combo Updater would be one approach in that class.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not when he has a temp of 55 C. Anyway, he didn't specifically say he checked AM. That's the kind of temps I get on my MBP when a process goes haywire.