Slow mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mac-collector, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

I took my mac to Starbucks the other day and noticed some other guy's mac was much faster than mine. He flicked through tabs like an oil-coated knife through boiled butter. And the webpages on his were so much faster to load than mine. I timed it with my iPhone and the results were: 1.8937 seconds on his and 2.7933 on mine to load the NYTimes main page.

Do you think I need more space on my hard drive? I really hope there is another way because the SSDs are pretty expensive and I can't really fit more into my iMac.

2. GGJstudios, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  3. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

So no more hard disks? Wow, that's a relief. Lugging all the HDDs and the iMac can be a pain.

4. roanmartigan macrumors member

haha. That wasn't quite enough with a millisecond precision, right ? You had to give us the results with a tenth of millisecond detail.

5. mac-collector, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

Of course, of course. How inaccurate of me. I can only give you two significant figures, on a good day.
    Apparently this Counting Processes in Human Timing article agrees.

6. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

The stopwatch will be perfectly accurate. Your ability to operate it with 1/10000th of a second precision on the other hand......

7. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Maybe it's just the other guy's Mac being a bit newer, thus faster, than yours.

8. mac-collector, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

Ah, you're probably right. Ageing hardware + software is probably the main cause.