Slow Macbook Pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onlymiah, Nov 30, 2013.

1. onlymiah macrumors 6502

I have a 17" MBP mid-2010. It has worked beautifully for the 3 years I have had it, until I upgraded to Mavericks. Now my MBP is extremely sluggish and just doesn't respond like it used to.

The specs are: Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB memory.

I added an aftermarket SSD drive, so this computer should not be as sluggish as it is. I am at a loss as to what is causing this.

At instance of this would be typing and as I type there is a delay before it appears on the screen. This is particularly maddening! :mad:

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

My first suggestion is to revert to the O/S you were running prior to Mavericks. If nothing else has changed, do the obvious. Was the SSD in the machine prior to the Mavericks install?

I'd upgraded a 2011 MBP from ML to Mavericks, and after a week opted to revert to ML due to some wonky network things I was experiencing.

3. rapicell macrumors regular

This may be a pointless thing to ask, but do you have a trim enabler active for your ssd?

4. onlymiah thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I do.

5. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I think it is a good point. Plus, how much space is remaining on the drive, an SSD requires a little "breathing room" for it's operations (some suggest as much as 20 %). If you are close to filling the drive this could be an issue.

6. onlymiah thread starter macrumors 6502

I notice a lot of people are complaining on the Apple community forums about Mavericks slowing their computer down. Apparently, I am not the only one. :confused:

7. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Hey, at least you can revert back to whatever older version of OS X you want, unlike with iOS ;)

If reverting back fixes your issue, perhaps there are indeed some bugs in Mavericks that only become apparent on some hardware configs. In that case you may want to try upgrading after another minor OS update or two. Otherwise, it could be something hardware related, or another app you're running.