Slow MacBook pro even after fresh install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antdawe, Aug 1, 2011.

1. antdawe macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had some issues with my MacBook running very very slow. Every click would take a couple of mins.

I booted up the DVD restore and selected disc utility where I removed the partition and erased the drive and set a new partition. After several attempts I reinstalled snow leopard only to find it in exactly the same situation.

Any help before I throw it in the fire

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

If you are gonna throw it in a fire, give it to me :D

Anyways, please be specific as to which computer you have problem with. Just don't post it here without any information whatsoever. That's why it's sometimes very helpful to put specs of your computer in the signature, like most of the people on this forum.

To help your problem, there isn't a solution, since you didn't provide enough information on your original post. The possibilities are:
    1) Your definition of 'slow' was that every click takes few MINUTES (really????? :eek:) If so, it might be something to do with your trackpad.
    2) Your HDD might be dying. To find this out, check the S.M.A.R.T report.
    3) Maybe you are running too many apps at once. If your computer isn't good enough for multitasking, such as running Photoshop, Bridge, Safari/Firefox with 50 tabs open, Pages, Keynote, iMovie exporting, etc.

If this is none of your case, then please bring it to the Apple Store and have it checked.

3. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Fair points there. I'll check the specs later In work at the moment. This is the link to the one I got http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.26-aluminum-13-mid-2009-sd-firewire-800-unibody-specs.html

When I said about mouse clicks I mean nothing running on the computer I click on the apple logo in top left corner or click to open an app and I get the spinning pie chart for at least 3 minutes before anything happens. When the mac first loads I click my username and each character of my password takes at least 3 minutes to appear.

How do I perform a smart test as I can hear my hdd trying to read data constantly.

Thanks