Slow Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B.LI, Sep 20, 2011.

1. B.LI, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

B.LI macrumors regular

So lately I've started to notice the loading time on my mbp seems to get slower, e.g.. loading between the start/password screen to the desktop
    I only use it for normal web browsing and graphical works via adobe. I downloaded os x lion pretty much when I brought the mbp so I don't know whether its due to the lion update or not. as I've never used the snow leopard

can somebody tell me if theres any methods to check for this issue or maybe datas can be deleted to increase the speed of the mbp please?

I have a MBP 15" early 2011

edit: Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 after RAM replacement

Cheers

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

It definitely has to do with Lion. I noticed this as well. It's caused by the option to reopen windows when restarting as well as autosaving (versions) feature. Both of which can be disabled to aid in faster startups. Again, something I have done... I can open and save my own stuff, as I always have.
    I'm sure it's good for some, though.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

4. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I have a mbp with my iMac 27' work machine migrated onto it (complete CS suite, bucket loads of apps, fonts etc. etc. - No slow down, runs like Usain Bolt.

Its running SL & although I have not tried Lion, I have read enough reasons to wait for perhaps the next (or one after) upgrade.

I did the migration, but after ran every tool (DW, TT, DG, DU etc.) to ensure every bit was clean.

Hope that gives some insight

5. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

That can rarely hurt.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Lion's fault not MBP.
    On SL, password to login was quick.

Now i get the beach ball when I log in and have to wait for like 10 sec before actually logging in.

Apple better do something about this.

7. andy.barron macrumors 6502

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

you did not say how much memory you have on your MBP..the more memory the Lion will run faster.

9. B.LI thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guys for the feedback well at least now I understand the issue came from lion... :mad:
    @Badrottie I was rather surprised since my mbp memory is 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 after a RAM replacement

10. fingerman macrumors member

Have you tried Onyx to do a bit of a cleanup?

11. WickedPuddin macrumors member

or cleanmymac

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

13. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

try clearing your PRAM. I did it on mine and it sped up the startup a bit.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

15. WickedPuddin macrumors member

I uses cleanmymac all the time and no problems... I love it :D

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While you may have not had problems yet, enough people have reported issues that it's better to warn people not to take the risk. Even if it doesn't damage anything, using it won't improve performance.

17. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Are you sure the problems still continue? The post you linked was over a year ago and there has been numerous updates since.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read that thread, you'll see a post reporting problems as recent as July. The same goes for other threads. It's simply not worth the risk, when the best it can do is save a little disk space. It cannot improve performance.

19. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Saved over 70 GB in space. Maybe ill still to Onyx since that seems to be good.

20. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Lion is very speedy when starting up on my MBP, a LOT faster than Leopard and Snow Leopard on Core2Duo Macs that I own. Even when I only had 4GB of RAM installed the MBP was fast; I really haven't noticed a difference since I installed 8GB of RAM.

Do you leave your MBP running 24/7? If so, try turning it off at the end of the day or regularly restart it. I have found that RAM tends to get tied-up by apps in OS X and if I leave a Mac running longer than a day or two it starts to slow down. After restarting it's back to its usually speedy self...

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This isn't necessary with Mac OS X, as it frees unused RAM without the need for restarts, unlike some Windows versions. It's quite common to run Mac OS X for weeks or months without restarting and without any degradation in performance.

22. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I've been running OS X since 10.3 and I have noticed that RAM does get tied-up and that it only takes a couple of days for my Macs to slow down if they haven't been restarted or shut-down.

Since it is costs nothing to try and takes little time it's worth a shot if the OP has been running his Mac 24/7.