Slow MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ermusician, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ermusician macrumors newbie

Hello,

Recently my macbook pro has been running sluggish. Sometimes (like now), speed is fine and is running like the day I got it. Other times (most of the time), everything takes forever to load. Especially when I'm on Safari. I see the beach ball of death. I recently cleaned it out, deleting applications I don't use. I also repaired disks and all that stuff. I've been looking this up over the past week and have come across the Activity Monitor. Below I took a screen shot of mine. Could someone tell me if all looks good? I saw somewhere that I may need more RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

3. ermusician thread starter macrumors newbie

I did just about everything that page told me to do and just restarted it. Activity Monitor is now showing 0 page outs and 143.22 page ins. Is this good?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The purpose of restarting is to reset your page outs to zero. Now track your page outs under your normal workload. Page ins are irrelevant, as you will always have those.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

6. ermusician thread starter macrumors newbie

Still running at 0; I'm going to see if that changes throughout the night as I do my normal work. Thank you.

----------

I'm looking into the SSD right now. I figured I'd need to upgrade at some point seeing my model is a late 2008. Any recommendations?

7. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

The problem may be that your Mac Pro is actually a MacBook Pro and is therefor slower. I'd ask for a refund.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Lots of reputable brands. I am looking into SSDs myself currently and I think I am going to go for either the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830. Intel and OCZ, amongst others, make nice SSDs as well.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Dying hard drive? From your activity monitor screenshot, you definitely aren't running out of RAM...

10. ermusician thread starter macrumors newbie

That was basically my original question. So I guess now I'm leaning more towards an SSD. Thank you

----------

Thanks so much for your help. Now it's running slow again haha. In a couple hours it'll be normal again.

11. Idefix macrumors 6502

12. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Clearly that is not true for him.

99% of laptop users will never need more than 4GB and for this guy two gigs is plenty.

An SSD drive is definitely what he should purchase.

13. Inside_line macrumors regular

In order:

Stop using Safari, they are not updating it for your OS anymore. I'd suggest Firefox.

If you can, upgrade to snow leopard.

Upgrade RAM, it's cheap and 2GB is behind the times.

If it's still too slow for you, SSD.

14. ermusician thread starter macrumors newbie

Ordered more RAM today. It's cheap anyway. If it's still slow I'll go ahead and look at an SSD card. Pricing isn't bad on those. I'll pay whatever I have to in order for it to work correctly. Thanks