Slow Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by friedymeister69, Feb 7, 2008.

1. friedymeister69 macrumors member

I have a macbook pro 2.4ghz core 2 duo w/ 4gb ram.

Ever since I installed Leopard, the dock shutters and, randomly, the cpu goes to 100% usage and the fans go to max speed.

My prior install of Leopard messed up my computer as well... Finder would lock up when I click on an icon (it would try to preview it and lock up).

Does anyone have any advice to fix these problems? Thanks in advance.

2. friedymeister69 thread starter macrumors member

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Do permission repair in disk utility and download onyx to clean up your caches and run system maintenance.

also try rebooting your MBP

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

What kind of install did you use when you intalled Leopard?

5. mb2696 macrumors newbie

look at activity monitor (in utilities)...sort by cpu column to see which process(es) are causing the 100%

6. friedymeister69 thread starter macrumors member

Right now, without having used the dock in a while, the dock is using between 1% and about 25% cpu usage.

The last time the fans started speeding up, I noticed that mdworker was using a crap load of cpu. Anyone know what that is?

Also, i used a standard install, except I removed all the extra printer drivers and languages.

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Mdworker is Meta Data importer associated with spotlight. It goes to work when file structure changes which is about all the time.

You should not be having these problems though. I am running Leopard on the older core duo MBP 2.16 non SR with only 2 gigs of ram and it runs great. I do use Onyx every two weeks or so which helps. If nothing else works try a fresh install again without disabling anything and run all you system updates before installing apps.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

9. friedymeister69 thread starter macrumors member

I am now starting to think that it is so slow because of all my drives. The macbook Pro has an internal 160gb hard drive, and I have 2x 500gb Seagate External Hard drives, one which is used for Time Machine; I am using about 800gb of the external drives.

10. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah that is your problem. Your MBP is trying to index all the time. Maybe this will work?

Disabling Spotlight

1. Launch Terminal and type the following: sudo nano /etc/hostconfig
    2. Navigate using the arrow keys down the following entry: SPOTLIGHT=-YES-
    3. Change SPOTLIGHT=-YES- to SPOTLIGHT=-NO-
    4. Save /etc/hostconfig by hitting Control-O and the return key, next hit Control-X to exit the nano editor
    5. Next, you’ll want to disable the index by typing the following in the Terminal:
    mdutil -i off /
    6. And to erase the current Spotlight index, type: mdutil -E /
    7. That’s pretty much it, on your next reboot, Spotlight will be completely disabled.

Re-Enable Spotlight

1. If you want to enable Spotlight again, follow the same steps as above, but change SPOTLIGHT=-NO- to SPOTLIGHT=-YES-
    2. and then type mdutil -i on / in the Terminal
    3. Reboot, and Spotlight is back as usual

11. friedymeister69 thread starter macrumors member

that would explain the constant external hard drive usage, but it doesn't explain why the dock uses so much cpu when idle, it goes up to about 24% every few seconds.