Slow MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanfacer, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ryanfacer macrumors newbie

Hi all

A few months ago I got myself a new MacBook Pro as a upgrade from my old White MacBook so I could use my old one as a Media centre. When I first got it I was not expecting it to be much faster than my white MacBook as it was only a 2.66 C2D and my white MacBook was a 2Ghz C2D but I thought it would be a bit faster as it has a better graphics card and a little bit better processor with more RAM but the truth is it is slower :confused: I have the same software on both of them and use them for the same types of tasks but the Pro is always lagging. When I talk about speed I mean how long it takes to load programs and do some simple video/photo edits and just the general feel of the machine. I always seem to be getting the spinning circle that can take a few minuets to go.

What I was wondering is if it is possible to just have a bad processor? Everything seems to be working but just a lot slower than it should.

Is their any programs that I can run that will tell me what speed my processor is running at or a general diagnostics program that can help?

Thanks for your help

2. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Take a look at your activity monitor and see how much memory is being used and where. There is a program called iFreeMem you might want to look into.

Plus, how many Gig's have you used on your harddrive for apps. The more space you use on your harddrive, the slower it's gonna make you computer.

If your CPU was bad, I'd hazard to guess your computer would have already crashed.

3. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

You can try downloading Onyx to perform some maintenance which might help. I'm not sure about any processor diagnostic programs sorry. If you are still experiencing it I would take it to the Apple store and talk to a genius and see if they can help you out.