slow macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kristince, Nov 24, 2011.

1. kristince macrumors newbie

My macbook pro is 6 months old, and i feel that i very slow, i download antivirus program VirusBarrier Express and scan all system and there are no infection detected.What more can i do?

2. simsaladimbamba

First:
    Uninstall any AntiVirus software via his method, as it is not necessary.
    Here is why it is not necessary:
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

Second:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

Third:
    Tell us what Mac and Mac OS X version you use:

But as you probably use Lion, you might have not enough RAM.
    If that is not the case, is your hard drive (HDD) full?

PS:
    To learn more about Mac OS X:

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

What year is your MBP?
    If its the one that came out this year, it can be an defect.
    We need more details

4. kristince thread starter macrumors newbie

My brother bought the mac in US in may this year i think its made this year.How i can see when is made?

5. simsaladimbamba

Then go to http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/mac-specs-by-machine-model-machine-id.html and see for yourself.
    But if your brother bought that Mac this year, then it probably is the early 2011 model, unless he bought it second hand.

Have you checked any of the other advise pointed out to you, or is that too complicated?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

7. kristince thread starter macrumors newbie

I check about this mac and system version is Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) . And is made from apple store not second hand.

8. kristince thread starter macrumors newbie

Model identifier: macbook pro 8,1

9. simsaladimbamba

What does Activity Monitor say and how much free storage capacity do you have?

I asked those questions before, but you haven't answered them yet, and GGJstudios also posted some suggestions to find out, what is going on.
    If you want help and don't want to wait for help, help us helping you.

10. kristince thread starter macrumors newbie

Im so sorry if you wait!!! I saw on activity monitor and my system memory says that its free 832,3 MB.i also check on launch agents and there are some folders i dont know what they mean. in system preferences in accounts > login items stay: itunes helper, iantyvirus, and grab.
    This is my first mac and i dont know so much about that, and sorry if i am slow in fixing the thinks,

11. simsaladimbamba

I didn't mean, that I have to wait, but that you would have to wait for answers and fixing things.
    Can you make a screenshots and attach it to your next post?
    Maybe that way you don't need to look for something you don't know about, but we know what you see and help you with stuff.

We could also help you remotely via TeamViewer, if you want.

I guess my first post must have been a bit overwhelming for you, but if you have the time, take a closer look at it and its links to learn more about your computer, which is always a good thing, to get to know your tools better.

12. kristince thread starter macrumors newbie

here you can see what i am seeing :)

Attached Files:

13. simsaladimbamba

Click on the CPU column again, thus it shows the process with the highest CPU usage on top and also select the Disk Usage tab and make a screenshot.

14. kristince thread starter macrumors newbie

----------

z

----------

i dont know what happened but i cant attach.

15. simsaladimbamba

Try www.tinypic.com as shown in the guide I linked to.

16. kristince thread starter macrumors newbie

i did it

17. sketdansu macrumors member

upgrade time

looks like you need to upgrade the ram, or make a habit of closing apps when not in use. ( I say upgrade to 8GB ram, they are so cheap these days, around $29-$40)

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Why upgrade ram? There's one fourth of it free to use. It's probably something that's using the CPU.