Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvsdan

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
This just goes to show how terrible the network stack is in MacOS. For years i've ran into network issues where finder will just throw the beachball because of some SMB issue.

Simon Li

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2020
Sunnyvale, CA
I have Comcast xfinity GE/1000Mbps plan and on my Windows 10 Dell XPS8500 PC I can get 900+Mbps download speed without any issue - all testing here based on Comcast itself's Xfinity speed testing site to compare. https://speedtest.xfinity.com/

While on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) with latest Catalina 10.15.6 version, wired to the same NetGear Wifi router with 4-GE port, I can only get 300-400Mbps download speed.

To rule out other possibility I tried to use the same cable and port which connected to Windows 10 PC before, to connect my iMAC 2017 and tested lots of times, my iMac download speed always ~400Mbps or below.

This is surely Apple imac network issue to me, given the fact that my 5+ years old Dell XPS8500 built-in GE on windows10 PC connected to the same NetGear router with same Cat7 cable can achieve 900M+bps GE speed.

I will try to test with my 2017 MacBook pro with adapter to see if also same, for my wifi router which support 1300Mbps, the Wifi on iMAC and Macbook also never achieved 500+Mbps download speed.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am using xFinity as well. I was getting 900+ but I just checked and its about 830 up and 41 down. Which is not 1000.

My signal is passing through a OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock but it has always been that way. I am going top try varying times to see if that make a difference.

Dimitri-pl

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2021
I had a similar issue. The ethernet direct connection with my iMac 2013 produced 1/3 of what download speed should be. The WiFi from the same router connection produced a perfect 100% download speed. I have read all forums, advices etc etc. The solution was banal. The site I tested the speed (speedtest.net) at was crap. Found a EU certified site to test the internet speed and ... the download speed at Ethernet has been ALWAYS 100%. Just the measure tool was not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.