Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tallrot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
Hi!

My 2019 MBA feels a little bit slow when i open the lid and the computer wakes. I takes a few seconds for the screen to lit up. Is this normal? I had an MBP 2011 before and, while not sure about it, i don't think it had that delay!

How does your MBA behave in these situations?

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I open the lid, finger-touch sign-in, and I'm working. It's immediate every time. I'm still on Mojave.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I've had this delay happen a few times since upgrading to Catalina, but it might just be that I'm paying more attention to it.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Hi!

My 2019 MBA feels a little bit slow when i open the lid and the computer wakes. I takes a few seconds for the screen to lit up. Is this normal? I had an MBP 2011 before and, while not sure about it, i don't think it had that delay!

Always or just sometimes?

Mine is instantaneous. The only thing that sometimes goes wrong is the WiFi -- it will keep hunting and eventually settle on iPhone tethering even though I am at home and the home WiFi is available and working.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Same thing happens to me. It tends to be after the lid has been closed for quite some time i.e. hours. If I were to close it now wait a minute and open its pretty instantaneous.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I just experienced the slow wake up now after a multi-hour sleep when not connected to power. I guess it does happen on and off. It took so long I tapped the power button and then I remembered this thread.

PascalUK

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
I had the same issue, I noticed that Powernap was off (I don't recall set it off, update?), how ever I put it back on and now the wake up is instant!

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
Hi!

This is normal if it has been asleep for a while. There are different modes. You can instant wake within a timeframe, supposably within 3 hours. Then you go into standby mode, which is a great power saver and it takes around 3-4 seconds to wake, for my 2020 Air at least.

You can actually modify these settings. Pmset

I have mine go into standby after just one hour. Don’t mind the delay and lose less power. You can even go into different modes like shut the ram down but it took 12 seconds to wake, not worth it and standby is already pretty effective.

Last edited:

PascalUK

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
This is normal if it has been asleep for a while.
I am sorry but even if my Mac Book Air sleep all night, it wakes up instantly when I open the lid (if I have Powernap on). Maybe with Powernap it doesn't really sleep, so it wakes up quickly :)

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
I am sorry but even if my Mac Book Air sleep all night, it wakes up instantly when I open the lid (if I have Powernap on). Maybe with Powernap it doesn't really sleep, so it wakes up quickly :)

No need to apologize, my reply was to the OPs question. Powernap is a parameter in the Pmset so I'm sure its a variable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.