Slow MBP...Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TravisC, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TravisC macrumors newbie

Ok, so recently I got fed up with my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro running slow. I feel like its been getting progressively worse with the upgrade to Lion. I went to the Apple Store and told the Genius Bar about my issues. They suggested that I wipe my computer clean and start over and/or upgrade my RAM from 4gb to 8gb, and for $40, I figured why not. So, now that I have completely wiped my computer, and installed the extra RAM to a full capacity of 8gb, so, I would expect everything to run fine...NOT! I am still getting the small spinning beach ball when I do certain things, but not limited to: Typing this post, browsing the web, typing a word document, etc. I went in to System Activity Monitor and looked at my page outs and it says 0/bytes second. I can't figure it out. I mean, as much money as I spent on this computer, and as well as I take care of my machine, there is no way that it should be acting like this. Can anyone shed any light as to what might be going on?!? Thanks in advance.

2. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

It could be a faulty hard drive. Have you looked into that?

3. TravisC thread starter macrumors newbie

Upon prior searches, I have exhausted all of those tips...Thank you though.

----------

No, I really haven't looked into that. That was never brought up at as a possibility at the Apple Store. Looks like I may be making another trip there in the near future.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you've checked Activity Monitor and it shows nothing? Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

5. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

I ask because that's usually the first component to take a dump in a computer and from servicing hundreds of computers the hard drive was usually the issue 80% of the time regarding unexplainable slowness even after reformatting the OS.

6. TravisC thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are two screenshots...

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing there that would indicate slow performance. However, if you recently re-installed Mac OS X, it's possible Spotlight was indexing, which can consume system resources for a few hours, until it completes. If your slow performance is primarily limited to internet activity, check your DNS settings by reading: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Looks like Safari is taking up a lot of ram. Should it be using that much ram?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It looks normal, even low, for Safari.

10. TravisC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your input, guys...it turns out, after a trip to Apple, that my hard drive was fried. Luckily, I bought the most extensive AppleCare available for my MacBook and it was covered. So, now I have the most RAM, a clean computer, and a BRAND NEW hard drive! Happy MacBook owner here!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you got it worked out!