Slow Mini (compared to similar Macbook)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Phatpat, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I have a 1.66ghz Core Duo Mac Mini, with 1gb of memory. It seems to be running much slower than my 1.83ghz Core Duo Macbook with 2gb of memory. It seems much slower in iTunes Visualizer, opening applications, and opening/playing movies. Is this the memory, even though activity monitor always shows quite a bit free? Or is the processor that much slower?

2. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

My understanding is that its the processors are that much different.

There are alot of differences in the architecture between the Core Duo, and the Core 2 Duo. Im sure someone will be along shortly to post the differences, but this I suspect would be your main culprit...

3. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Just to be clear, my Macbook is a Core Duo as well, the first generation.

4. ADent macrumors 6502a

They are basically the same computer.

My wife's computer always seems slower than mine, even though for awhile I had a G4 eMac 800MHz and she had a 1.4GHz G4 mini. I wrote it down as hard drive differences, but now we both have intel mini's and I swear it takes forever for her machine to do certain tasks.

You can pull one stick of memory out of the MacBook (or upgrade the mini to 2GB) and see if that makes a difference.

I assume the mini is running at a higher resolution than the 13" MacBook. You can also try setting the mini to 640x480 and see if it is snappier.