Slow Mo problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LeKiD, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Hi guys, I'm gonna be quick hoping that someone who can help me will do it promptly cause my project is overdue. here is the situation.

Wedding shot with XH-A1 24f. All my slow motion look pretty good in final cut pro but as soon as it hits the dvd made by DVD Studio pro the slow mo is jerky and unwatchable. Is there something I should do or not? My slow motions are at 50%. The frame blending looks terrible in FCP but I'm now going to try it to see if it comes out better on dvd. I've heard of motion blur and to burn with upper field.

Hope to get news guys! Thanks!

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Try adding some of the De-Flicker filters, slow mos can be tricky sometime ot get looking good.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Zioxide, I have many clips and I am not used to AE... I'll give a shot of the deflicker after my latest try... what a waste of time! Will a MacPro save me some time for encoding and rendering? Whenever a new one is coming out I buy one... PowerMac G5 single processor (1.8) to whatever is good... What major change will I see? No more 12 hours to encode a 45min. movie!?

5. andy721 macrumors 6502a

andy721

6. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

I didn t do the modifications that have been mentionned yet but I've tried with the (bottom field) specification and now I am very puzzled. Some slow mo looks just fine and some others look jerky... I went back in my timeline and they have been twicked the same way. I guess I'll give a shot to the flicker thing.

7. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Got the solution...

On the dvd... while it played... some frames were blended other not and it's those ones that were jerky. So I'm doing my dvd test to see if it's really "Frame Blending" that will give the perfect slow mo. Deflickering and Deinterlaceing did not improve the video. Frame blending looks awful on the timeline when played but the result on tv seems alright.

8. theWholeTruth macrumors member

Frame blending with Constant Motion should give the best results. However, sometimes the footage framerate and mode it was shot in will yield different results. You should give more information next time because it's not just the app that affects how slo-mo looks.

Always view titles and motion fx on an external monitor. Never use your computer monitor as a judge, unless, of course, the finished piece is only for the web.

Encoding video always takes time. Perhaps your workflow is the problem. I export to Compressor and then take that file into DVDSP. It's quicker even if you're encoding your assests in DVDSP in the background.

9. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

-It did! Frame blending was the issue. I knew it wasn't a question of the frame rate it was shot on. I do the same for encoding... with compressor to DVDSP. The matter is that in compressor, for a 45min. movie to encode one pass in 90 min. (faster encode) it takes me around 12 hours to encode... that's not what I call quick! But the encoding afterwards in DVDSP is much faster.