Slow motion question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stanw, Nov 21, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

When using the 6S+ to shoot slow motion, it seems it starts off with normal speed, and then at some point into the footage it slows down. Why does it do this, and is there a way to make sure that all of the footage is in slow motion?

Thanks.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Without checking you used to be able to tap the edit button and then move the yellow sliders in and out. Everything between is in slow mo

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just clicked edit, I do not see yellow sliders, though I do see what seems to be something different visually with the number of vertical lines beneath the video. There seems to be more vertical lines at the beginning and the ending of the video with fewer in between. It seems I can change this, though I am not clear on what it is doing?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As I thought when I checked there's a ui change.

Ok I've included a picture, the top bar you can move the sliders the bit in between the sliders plays in slow mo.

The slider below that is your timeline. This allows you to crop the video. Or move through the timeline.

Attached Files:

5. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I'm still confused as to why when you shoot video in slow motion mode, the first few seconds seems to shoot at a normal frame rate until the slow motion kicks in? OR is this an issue on my phone?

Thanks.

6. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

It's not an issue with your phone OP, I have this. The first 4 seconds of my slow-mo video is normal speed.

I would also like to know why this happens.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Its to add drama.

The whole thing is shot at full speed. The slow Mo effect is added by the software if you get me, hence why you can manipulate it after.

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

You can adjust the sliders to make the whole video slo motion. It's so that your not watching something in slow motion when you really want just the action shot slowed down.

For instance video of my daughter sliding down a slide. I don't need her climbing to the top in slow motion, but the slide down I do. So I adjust the slo motion sliders.

9. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

so does manipulating the sliders affect which parts of the video are in slow motion or just which parts are played back in slow motion? I'm guessing that the whole video is shot in slow motion and this just allows you to watch some parts at a normal frame rate on the iPhone?

OR do the sliders affect which parts are in slow motion? I already transferred a bunch of videos to my Mac (not in front of it right now to check) and now I'm concerned that the whole videos may not have been in slow motion because I didn't manipulate the sliders?

Thanks

10. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

It's called time remapping if anyone wants to know what the effect is called.

11. lamborghini392 macrumors member

The sliders in iOS control the playback, they don't alter the original video. If you copy the video to a computer, the whole thing will play at regular speed at 240 fps (aka won't play in slow motion). If you have a media player that supports "time remapping", you can slow the 240fps to say 60fps like iOS does so that 1 second of original video is 4 seconds of smooth slowed down video at 60 fps.

12. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just transferred a 02:44 long clip and opened it in the QT player on my Mac. The first six seconds seem to play at a normal frame rate and then it goes into slow motion. So it seems to be playing back in the same way as it did on my phone. I also see a bunch of .AAE sidecar files copied over form my phone to my Mac?

13. lamborghini392 macrumors member

I think those are like some kind of file used by iOS and Mac to tell the OS how to handle the video, they accompany live photos and photos edited in iOS too. If you copy just the .mov file off the phone it plays normally. Browsing my phone in windows explorer, the video and .AAE file have the same name, but the .AAE file is useless on windows since windows has no idea how to use it.