Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanostran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
I'm currently downloading the Simpsons Movie in sd, and it is taking forever (after 45 minutes, it only 18% downloaded, and not yet ready to begin viewing). I'm on a (supposedly) 15Mb roadrunner cable connection, with ATV connected via wireless G. Even while the movie is downloading, I can go to Speedtest.net on my laptop and get 3.5Mb download bandwidth, which seems to indicate that there should be sufficient bandwidth to begin watching an sd movie at least within a few minutes. Other than running the speedtest, and writing this message, there is nothing else eating up bandwidth on my home network. I checked by iTunes account and verified that I did indeed purchase the sd version (precisely b/c I wanted to watch it right away, rather than have to wait for some time for it to buffer).

Any ideas on what might be going on here? I've had my atv for about a week, and have downloaded 3 sd movies and 1 hd movie. Two of the sd movies have so far have taken about this long to download, whereas the third was ready to watch within a minute or so. The hd movie was ready to watch in about 20 minutes (which is much sooner than two of the three sd movies). Its frustrating, b/c I am otherwise really enjoying it. But if I can't get these download speed issues ironed out, it's just not very practical for me.

Vanostran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Almost 4 hours after I started the download, its still only at 77% -- this is insane!:mad: At the moment, I'm simultaneously getting 8.5 - 9Mb download on various speedtests, everything I try network-wise is working great (even streaming videos from other web sites), except the atv download moving at a snails pace. Tried disconnecting everything else on the network, but that didn't help. Even tried rebooting the modem and router, but no help.

Any suggestions at all?!? I really want to make this work, but am not having any luck discovering the cause of these painfully slow downloads.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
The issue has got to be your ISP or home WIFI.
Have not experienced your issue after renting about 12 movies. Did have a slightly slow download of an HD movie a few weeks ago, but took a break and let it catch up and all went well.

Vanostran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
The issue has got to be your ISP or home WIFI.
Have not experienced your issue after renting about 12 movies. Did have a slightly slow download of an HD movie a few weeks ago, but took a break and let it catch up and all went well.

Any ideas what the ISP or home WIFI issue might be? I've tried what I can think of, and the problem only seems to be affecting atv and nothing else. Stranger still, when I download trailers, SD trailers start playing pretty much instantly and HD trailers start playing within about 3-5 seconds. Obviously, the trailers are much smaller files, but I'd still expect the HD trailers to take a minute or two to load based on the pace at which the movies themselves are downloading. I welcome any suggestions on how I might resolve this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.