Slow network issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by famous600, Feb 7, 2014.

1. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

So here's the deal. My current DL speed is 40mbps upload at 10mbps. I've confirmed these numbers. However my network speeds in regards to file transfers over the network or streaming from plex on the roku are SLOW. When my brother in law is gaming the network really crawls. Any ideas? I currently have DSL service with an Actiontec C1000a modem/router. Any ideas/help is MUCH appreciated! FYI when file transfer speeds over the network are about 3mbps and even streaming at 720p from plex at 4mbps is a pain. HELP!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

First step could be to keep your brother-in-law off your network :D
    Then, maybe turn the router off on your Actiontec modem, put it in bridge mode, and add a decent dual-band wireless router to make your network a little better.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

ASUS hardware makes decent wireless routers. However, the AirPorts are slammed at my school everyday with 20+ consecutive users with no signs of letting up. Across eight Expresses and one Extreme at the head, we easily have 75 bandwidth hungry users.

4. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i'd go wired... gigabit lan will make way faster than wifi...

5. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

Switched to an AirPort Extreme and I'm achieving satisfactory speeds :)

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Good to hear. ISP modems and routers are generally made as cheaply as possible. In fact an ISP offered a DOCSIS 2.0 modem the other day to a customer at the retail show :eek: . This was even though they were on the 75 Mbps package! Anyhow, what generation is your Extreme?

7. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

Newest gen. Works great. One pretty neat thing, I connect my iMac to 5Ghz AC then sign into privateinternetaccess VPN. My download speed goes from 40 Mbps to 130 Mbps!

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Apple doesn't make the fastest hardware in terms of networking. But if you want a rock solid connection, great speeds, and overall simplicity coupled with reliability, AirPort is the way to go. Gladly take an AirPort Extreme over a Cisco small business AP any day which sounds a little Extreme. However, with most Ciscos in the same price range Apple kills it.

9. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

As long as it does what I need it to do and does it efficiently then I'm good.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Kind of how I view it!

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I bought AirPorts for my needs because they get the job done and have what I need and nothing I don't. Plus the fact that I don't need an AP license for my school network, they are easy to configure, and easy to service at the Genius Bar.

Can't beat bringing in a piece of school equipment and being in and out with a repaired or replaced unit in under an hour.