Slow network transfer speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ethernet76, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I have two macs on a wireless network. One is connected via cable to a router. The other is on the wirlessless network of the router.

When I connect to either computer from the other, the file transfer speed is around 50Kb/s.

The router is a 802.11b, but the two computers and router are all located in the same room. The router has its own channel and no other router in the neighborhood shares the same channel.

The confusing part is the wireless computer scores the same rating as the wired computer on dslreports.com bandwidth meter. Somewhere between 1-3 mb/s download and 1mb/s upload.

I'm just wondering why I would be able to get these speeds from the internet, but no from a wired computer connected to the router. Theoretically the speed should be quicker, not slower.

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I'm watching this thread because I have the same question.

3. ethernet76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorta fixed

I guess I'll answer my own question.

It seems that for some reason it's just the AFP that extremely slow. Even when the wireless computer was sitting on top of the router I could only achieve 70 kbytes/sec.

However, FTP is able to reach speeds of around 500 kbytes/sec sustained. So my work around is to disable local network sharing, but enable FTP in the sharing system preference.

You must however connect to the other computer using the Finder's Go->Connect to server menu option and prepend the other computer's IP address with ftp://.

For example I use ftp://192.168.2.1.