Slow Networking Problems on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by traxor, Mar 24, 2010.

1. traxor macrumors newbie

Hello,

Here at work I'm on a 27" iMac (10.6.2 Snow Leopard) and I'm having some network issues.

The set-up is this:
    [​IMG]

For some reason, whenever I connect to the server it is really slow. There is an older generation iMac connected to the server through the same switch and it's the correct speed...

I've got IPv6 disabled and a few things... There isn't anything else that I can think of. It's always been the same speed. (I've changed the cable type too by the way).

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Is the Win Server a domain controller?
    When you say it's slow, do you mean browsing the shares on the Win Server?

3. traxor thread starter macrumors newbie

No it's not a domain controller, we're not on a domain, it's just using workgroups.

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

What speed are you expecting and what are you getting?

Is the switch a managed or unmanaged switch?

Have you changed the duplex or speed settings on your Mac?

When you connect to any other servers on the LAN or the other iMac do you get the correct speed?

5. traxor thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really sure how to monitor the speed but I'd say that a folder of about 100mb will take about 20 - 30 seconds whereas on the other iMac it will load instantly.

The switch is unmanaged I think, ie it's just a box on the floor... It's only a 6-port switch, nothing major. We're just a small agency.

The only setting I've changed is disabling IPv6 but the reason for that was because I saw it was an apparent resolution. Ever since I stuck the iMac on my desk and plugged it into a switch I've had the problem, which leads me to believe it's either an error with the configuration on my system or a compatibility issue with my version of OSX (snow leopard).

I have the same problem connecting to any other computer on the workgroup. However, all of the Windows PCs and the other iMac are the correct speed.

It's getting a bit annoying, it's hindering my work flow a little bit :)-().

If it helps, the other iMac is on the original version of Leopard and is this machine:
    [​IMG]

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Is this really a switch or is it a hub? There's a big difference in that a hub can really cause you some bandwidth problems due to its inability to allow machines to transmit and receive at the same time.

7. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Why not try getting in touch with Apple support?

8. belvdr macrumors 603

I think it's narrowed down now. The user just connected the switch/hub, so at least it is isolated.

9. traxor thread starter macrumors newbie

It is definitely a switch, there is a data centre next door so they advise us on certain things, plus the lead developer here has experience in networking... He had to explain to me what a domain controller was (aha).

Contacting Apple Support will be the last resort to be honest, I know that they're a nice bunch of guys over there but they always make you go through processes that you've done already and it gets a little frustrating.

10. belvdr macrumors 603

What's the model number and manufacturer of this switch? Also, are you saying the Windows server and your Mac are connected to this same switch or does your Mac connect to your switch on the floor and the Windows server reside in the data center?

11. traxor thread starter macrumors newbie

The switch is: TP-Link TL-SG10008D.

The server is sitting in the same room and connected to the switch.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

Okay, so it's a gigabit switch, and I'm thinking either the Mac and/or the Windows machine linked at 100Mb. Sometimes, during autonegotiation, when a system attempts to link at 100Mb, it can actually link using half duplex instead of full duplex.

The only way to tell is to check the network properties of both machines.

13. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Can you get a crossover cable and connect directly? Or a straight thru cable assuming both support auto-negotiation?

14. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

In my experience, the new Finder in SL is slow to list items over SMB while in icon view. By accident I discovered that, at least on my own network, column view lists folder contents over SMB very quickly. I guess the new Finder still needs some tweaking.

15. traxor thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried using column view and it's not any faster :-(.

Guh.

16. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Actually, to be clear, I modified the smb.conf file on the Macs in our network which sped up column view's ability to display drive and folder contents more quickly. Again, only the computers with SL had the issue with SMB mounted volumes, and it was most noticeable in Icon view. The Finder seems
    to pull more information about a file before displaying it in that view.

I don't have my computer in front of me right now, but doing a Google search for smb.conf should get you started.

17. traxor thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see, is there any way to modify the smb.conf file so that the other files are loaded more quickly? I'm glad it's not just who's noticed the difference in speed between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

If possible, would you be able to take a look whenever you can to see what modifications you made? As much as I dislike using the column view, if it helps me get work done more quickly then it's worth it.

Thanks a lot.

18. traxor thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a quite note: the problem still hasn't been resolved. I'm still experiencing the slow networking problems. :-(