Resolved Slow new MBP 15 2.4Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Olaf.cc, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Olaf.cc, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

Olaf.cc macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Bought a new MBP (late 2011, i7 2.4), did a migration of my old Hackintosh and came up with a GeekBench score of 10.3XX. Fine, happy enough. I didn't have enough space for my files and Bootcamp so I reinstalled the OS. (Thinking it would give me a clean install)

It didn't, but after starting GeekBench again I am only getting a score of 7.6XX.

What the hell just happened?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Hmm not sure. i just ran it on my MBP with A LOT of apps running (7GB RAM in use right now) and got a score of 6979. No clue if it should be higher or lower or w.e.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I wouldn't just base GeekBench as the best estimate for your MacBook's speeds. It's pretty variable, plus running in 32 bit vs. 64 bit. If you're running the free version, it's restricted to 32 bit and you'll most of the time probably be in 64-bit. Are you running it @ 32-bit or 64-bit?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

@OP

wipe the HD, make a clean install (and geekbench it if you want). I wouldn't care so much about benchmark scores, but your migration from a hackintosh + OSX re-install on top of that might have messed up some stuff.

5. Olaf.cc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid I passed the stage of a clean install. :-(

I don't care that much about GB scores, but I find it odd that I get a difference of 3000 points with no changes made, except those Lion install files. Which should make it better, not worse.

Any idea how I can find the bottle neck?

6. Olaf.cc thread starter macrumors newbie

Could this have something to do with it?

7. Olaf.cc thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, this is where the error came from: MBP wouldn't go to sleep. When trying to wake it up(from a black screen), it crashes.

After doing another reinstall with first deleting all the kext files it did went to sleep. And I got a better GeekBench score. (10.417)

Yay.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The culprit as you surmised is that you migration asst. from your hackintosh to your mac. Clearly the modified, and/or custom kexts were causing you all sorts of issues.

glad you got it all sorted out