Slow notifications

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kodaker, May 10, 2015.

1. kodaker macrumors member

For 3 days all was well, I got mail, message, etc. notifications just fine on the watch. Now today the iPhone 6+ dings when a notification comes in and the watch taps me a while later, has been as long as 15 seconds later. Before this the iPhone was quiet when the watch tapped. Any ideas?

2. mikeruoc macrumors newbie

I am getting some of this also. Not sure what is going on.

3. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Just a guess and there a lot of variables that could cause this however it it could be a network issue. I have two known wifi networks at work, my phone is typically always on one and sometimes on the other. I noticed that yesterday I had the same issue.

When I checked my wifi networks, I was connected to the second known network that I was less frequently connect to. I ran a speed test on both networks and the second network was far slower. I selected "forget this network" in my iPhone settings and switched back to the primary wifi I usually use.

BINGO notifications back on track. Hope that helps.

4. kodaker thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but not true for me as I only have one wifi network available.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yes. Not sure why. Worked perfectly for the first week. Now, particularly for iMessages, there's a good 10-15 second delay. And, even when the iPhone is locked & screen off, the iPhone dings first -- which it's not supposed to do at all.

I've submitted the bug/feedback to Apple. Don't know if they really look at it, but I at least tried to do my part.

6. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

This has always happened to me on my iPad/iPhone. Often times it will come in 20 of 30 seconds later on the iPhone for some reason. To me, it's never been a big enough issue to question.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I kind of expect that for two independent devices -- but the watch and phone are kind of one and the same. I expect notifications to go immediately from phone to watch (since they're directly connected via Bluetooth).

I could understand if they were connected via wifi, but my phone --> watch delay occurs even when they're within a meter of each other.

8. kodaker thread starter macrumors member

I carry my iPhone in my pocket so it's less that 2 feet from my watch so there shouldn't be any delay in notifications. I just got an email and the iPhone dinged and it was 35 seconds later that the watch tap came. When they are connected, the iPhone shouldn't ding at all.

I have tried a hard reset on both watch and phone and it didn't help.

How do I go about submitting this to Apple?

9. kodaker thread starter macrumors member

OK, I have found my problem and it is my problem not a watch problem. In the app on the phone under General there is an option to turn off Wrist Detection. I did turn this off since I am wearing my watch on the inside of my wrist and didn't think I needed wrist detection on, but I now see that turning this off makes the watch think you don't have the watch on at all, so it sends all notifications to the phone.

The description for wrist detection says it will automatically show you the time when you raise your wrist. Since that wasn't working for me with the watch on the inside of my wrist anyway, I thought I didn't need that on.

Sorry....my bad.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

You'll have to forgive me because I'm still waiting on my watch, but does it show when you're connected over bluethooth as opposed to WIFI?

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. There's no visible indication. You can check the wifi router to see if the watch's MAC address is actively connected, but there's no indicator on the watch or in the settings to show if the watch is connected to the phone via BT or wifi.

There are times when the slow phone --> watch notifications push occurs in my car as well, so clearly they are not on the same wifi network then.

12. dandrewk macrumors 6502

This "issue" comes up at least twice a day in this forum.

NO, the watch and the iPhone are not the same device. The iPhone, like the iPad, Mac, or whatever devices you have that receive notifications, check for these notifications periodically. I'm sure it's quite frequent for iPad, iPhone and Mac, but the intervals will vary between the three.

e.g. I have an iPhone, iMac, Ipad, Ipod Touch. When I get a text, the beeps/buzzes often come in at four different intervals over the course of about 20 seconds.

The Watch is a bit different, as it depends on the iPhone and mirrors the notifications. And I'll bet it doesn't check quite as often as other devices in order to save battery power. So the likelihood is the Watch will trail the iPhone by several seconds.

If you have gotten notifications that seem simultaneous between the phone and watch, that's just random luck. It won't, and shouldn't, happen every time.