Slow OS X Boot Time & Other Things?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Dec 18, 2011.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

OS X seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time to boot up - I'd say anywhere from 40 seconds to a minute. I don't have an SSD, but the 5400 RPM 750GB drive that came standard with the computer.

Once the computer boots up, it takes an unusual amount of time for the login screen to process my password, sometimes up to 5 seconds.

Also, when typing in Safari, the cursor will sometimes freeze. It usually happens when I leave out a letter and autocorrect tries to come up.

Other than these problems, my computer is running as fast as can be. Any idea on how to cure these ailments?

2. Capex macrumors regular

My boot time went from ~28 secs to 59 secs when I updated to Lion. Maybe it's just me, but perhaps an update will fix things. I think with the first incremental updates Apple releases are for real big bugs. For most people, boot time is not. As for Safari freezing, maybe someone else can help.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help, especially the 2nd and 3rd tips: Performance tips for Mac OS X

5. robbo95 macrumors newbie

Hi peep,

Any help would be great. I've had a little look around to find the best thread for my problem so I've landed here.

I'm a noobie and only had a Macbook pro for 1 year.
    The model is the Macbook pro 7,1 2.44 mid 2010 range.

It came with Snow Leopard, I updated to Lion probably around September time.

Since then, the boot time is around 2:30 minutes with the login. it was around 1:30 - 2 minutes on SL. I haven't changed anything or running anything from the boot that i wasn't then. I manually load programs I need at the time.

All i get is bad lagging when loading up apps, I put this down to the update of the OS compatibly and all.

Its been 4 months since i did update all apps up to date etc, but the biggest issue is Safari!
    When I click on it it takes a good 20 seconds to load the page at times and would say around 10 seconds on an average. Its not my ISP i have a 7meg connection and also run speed tests.

I have read up a little but with being a noobie I'm not sure what to look at and what certain words programs are.

I've tried the link and nothing changed.

Any other help would be great

thanks

1 last thing, the update to 5.1.2 won't install either, left it overnight and it was still stuck on the progress bar say halfway across:confused: