SLOW (Paused) Freeze Logon to Snow Leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattdpage, Aug 29, 2009.

1. mattdpage macrumors newbie

Hi,

When we logon to snow leopard, after the backdrop/icons and dock appears it appears to freeze for almost two minutes before it allows the mouse to interact with the screen and for any program to be started.

I did an upgrade from Leopard, and running an 8 core 2.26GHZ 2009 Mac Pro, 6GB RAM.

I have deleted all logon items in the startup section including `skype, and itunes helper etc. But still the slow login persists.

Originally I thought it was a problem with a startup item, as all the startup items would load and then the last would freeze. However they have been deleted from system preferences and it now persists.

Obviously some task is running. How can I find out what and stop it running?

From the logon to the desktop, and running in safe mode is seconds...

Matthew

2. AndyEngel macrumors newbie

Smae problem, anyone have any ideas?

Hi

Since upgrading to SL yesterday my boot time has gone from under a minute to over 2 mins 30 sec.

It does get to the login prompt quite quickly but then looks like it hangs with the 'progress bar' freezing.

I am going to try a complete fresh install to see if that helps and will post an update.

Cheers Andy

3. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

I'm experiencing the same problem: a freeze or hang during the login process, after confirming my password.

Does anybody know how to profile login processes so that we (I) can see which process is hanging in the background, and then hopefully rectify it without resorting to nuking the whole system and starting again?

4. qubex macrumors 6502

qubex

UPDATE

I stepped through my Console very carefully and I found several mentions of "Mac_SwapperDemon", something I'd never noticed before. It was producing massive log entries that vaguely reminded me of core dumps, it clearly wasn't happy and was complaining about something.

I headed over to my account preferences' Login Items and found two mentions of the program: Mac_SwapperDemon and Mac_SwapperDemon (All Users).

I searched the web and discovered that Mac_SwapperDemon is installed by Vodafone's Mobile Connect software, which indeed I installed when I got my UMTS wireless/broadband/whatever 3G USB key.

So I deselected both instances from Login Items and rebooted. This time there was no lag after login. It just flew through like the good old days.

I infer I've corrected that problem (at least), though probably at the expense of 3G connectivity (obviously wasn't going to work anyway, considering the error messages the thing was vomiting up). I hope this helps, if not regarding the specific program itself at least as a methodology for approaching various similar problems.

5. monstar-x macrumors member

I have the same issues with the Login Screen. I dident find any Solution. i Reinstall Snow Leopard, and all works fine... Strange very Strange, it must be some kind of Bug.

6. AndyEngel macrumors newbie

Network domain login causing problem

Hi

Look like I have sorted my problem.
    It appears that, possibly as a result of loading the update at work, I ended up with a domain setting in the "system preferences" "accounts". While changing the login options I saw that I have a domain login entry for my work.
    I removed the settings and my boot time is now sub 1 min consistently.

I guess that immediately after the login screen is the time when my system would then try to authenticate with the server, which as I am at home, is not responding. Eventually the process would time out and the login process would be allowed to complete normally.

Hope this helps, but it appears that there could be many other causes.

Cheers, Andy

7. Jorg1312 macrumors member

Jorg1312

I have the same problem now ever since I upgraded to SL 10.6.2

Is there anything else I could try to fix it?

My login window freezes for about 3 - 4 minutes everytime I start the Mac.

The start up in general is quite slow

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@Jorg1312: Try a safe boot and see whether the login process is smoother. If so check Accounts preferences->Login Items and the contents of /Library/StartupItems. Restart to exit safe boot and start up normally, see if the startup/login is improved by clearing/moving the items in those folders. As qubex did, also take a look in the Console application at the system.log file and see if you can diagnose a stalled process/application that is causing this lag.