Slow performance on MBP - Flash related (I think)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsod999, Sep 3, 2012.

1. bsod999 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 MBP with Intel i7 2.2ghz processor and 4GB of RAM - in the 6 months I've had it, I've been surprised that performance hasn't been better as often when I'm just browsing the web, in Chrome with 7 or 8 tabs open, and no other resource intensive applications open (generally I'll only have Mail, Adium, Activity Monitor running), the laptop starts to noticeably lag, taking a second or two to respond to cursor movements and typing.

The CPU usage in Activity Monitor is usually at 10% roughly when this is happening (right now in fact!), and Shockwave Flash is using 2.6%, 35 threads and 200MB real memory. Is this the source of my problem and is there anything I can do about it other than get more RAM?

2. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Flash may well be your problem. 2.6% isn't much but it's worth checking anyway. Even if it isn't your problem, you can install the ClickToFlash plugin, which I believe works in Chrome, to allow you to only load flash content which you wish to see. It'll be a lot lighter on your CPU and help you save battery life.