Slow performance : why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Nov 23, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

My Macbook Pro is very slow whenever I do several things at once (Unibody 15", 2.4ghz, 2gb ram). It seems that my harddrive is slowing things down enormously. So when I am downloading a file, browsing the net and watching a clip at the same time, everything gets all stuttery. Even scrolling in safary stutters like hell, loading a small (like 30mb) avi file in VLC can take several minutes, beach ball every five seconds.

Strange thing is, I don't even seem to need to do a lot to get this behavious. Sometimes, even just browsing and scrolling turn things to a crawl.

This is on a freshly formatted 500gb 5400rpm drive I took from my external drive (Lacie). Snow Leopard.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2 gig is not very much, I'd look to double the amount at the very least.

3. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

for the little computing the OP is doing, ram is obviously not the issue here.

4. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Which isn't something the OP needs...

I been using 2 Gb forever and I get by with MUCH multi tasking. I would say the OPs harddrive is the problem. Loading a VLC file shouldn't take minutes. You sure the harddrive is working correctly? Maybe it is broken?

5. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Someone suggested I should downgrade to firmware 1.6. Is this true? If so, how do I do that?