slow performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sweet apple, May 10, 2011.

1. sweet apple macrumors newbie

hi...

i just joined your forum...

i have got macbook pro 2.6hz 4g ram. i use it mostly for music ( hobby)

so i have recording software, and more... (pro tools, maschine... )

my computer work slower now. do i need to format my computer? ( how?)

or i just need to 'secure empty trash' instead of 'empty trash'?

thanks in advance...

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

What do you mean by slow? Could be a number of things that doesn't require you to reinstall OS X.

My bet would be a bad hard drive, they tend to slow things to a crawl before finally dying.

3. sweet apple thread starter macrumors newbie

hi snaky69...

it's not that slow. but it thinks (round wheel turning) more then it had to before.

i was just asking if it's a good idea to turn on the computer holding the 'C' button( reinstall) or what.

thanks

4. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

No need to reinstall anything yet, as we haven't diagnosed the problem yet.
    Holding down "C" during startup lets you boot from a bootable medium inside the ODD.
    Securely Emptying the Trash will not improve your MBP's speed, as it only overwrites the content of the Trash when you empty it.

5. sweet apple thread starter macrumors newbie

results

hey, thanks simsaladimbamba

i don't know much about computer so i add a screen shot :) is that good?

Attached Files:

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

How full is your hard drive? Many times when the hard drive becomes more full the performance decreases.

7. sweet apple thread starter macrumors newbie

that's is what i am asking

should i format my hard drive? how? i want my computer as new :)

8. un.titled macrumors regular

9. karohan macrumors 6502

From your screenshot it is difficult to tell what the problem is or can be because you only show a portion of the processes. Try running whatever programs cause your computer to feel slow. When that happens, open up the Activity Monitor and click on CPU. This will order all processes from most CPU usage to lowest. So scroll to the top (so that the most CPU intensive processes are visible) and take a screenshot of that.

Maybe do the same for RAM (by clicking on RAM now, scrolling to the top, and taking a screenshot of that)

People could probably help you if they know the most intense processes you're running.

10. sweet apple thread starter macrumors newbie

no

no i don't have windows.

11. sweet apple thread starter macrumors newbie

2 pic

here are 2 screen shots...

Attached Files:

12. karohan macrumors 6502

Hm for the memory, you showed the processes that use the least memory. I think you should've scrolled down. Either way though, your CPU usage doesn't seem too crazy and I'm guessing that one program you're running is something you're using. I'm not sure why the coreaudio process isn't responding however. Maybe that is the source of your slowdowns.

If you haven't tried restarting, I would try that. Has the computer always been slow or has it become slow suddenly? Because if it was always slow since you started it, it may be a case of your hard drive not being able to handle the audio work you do (but I think this is unlikely).

Other than that, I'm not sure if there's a whole lot I can help you with. But maybe someone else here can.

13. sweet apple thread starter macrumors newbie

hey, sorry i respond late, i just saw your message. thanks for your answer. as for your question, it become slow suddenly.

how do i clean it? do i format it or restart?

thanks.