Slow/Poor Wireless reception with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gwihannom, Dec 31, 2008.

1. gwihannom macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro and a couple other PCs in my network. I didn't pay attention before, but I'm noticing a slower or poor wireless reception.

Airport icon in the upper left is showing full, but I was downloading something, and noticed a much slower speed.

I subscribe for a high speed cable, which I'm able to reach more realistic speed of around 3 mbps of download and 600 kbps of upload. I did some online speed tests in various sights and noticed that all the other computers in the network reach around ideal speed, where as my MacBook reached only 1.5~2 mbps, a whole 1 mbps slower than others.

I know that my testing is unscientific, since the distance and other variables could come into play. So I tested near the router, and I still noticed a slower wireless speed on MacBook Pro.

Running it through Ethernet, I was able to reach the ideal speed.

Is it suppose to be slower or is this an issue?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Theres thousands of threads on this already

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

There are 2 reasons for this

1) Wifi isnt as fast as cabled LAN (typically 1-108 Mbit/s for Wireless vs. 1000-10,000 Mbit/s for LAN)

2) It could also be because the wifi antenna is behind a block of solid aluminium, which isnt exactly the most genius idea ever, but yeah Apple refuse to change it, and have been putting there ever since they released the first Aluminium Powerbooks.

Funnily enough though Dell puts their wireless antennas behind the screen, wouldnt that be a great idea

hmmmm

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

When you notice a "bump" in the loading of a page that should take long like google or yahoo click on the Airport icon. Mine has the same problem, when I hit a bump it says scanning with the chasing gray circle thing. I talked to a guy at an Apple store (not a genius) and he said the it mean you lost connection for some reason and its connecting again. I think he was way wrong though because sometimes it slows down. I'm taking mine to a genius tomorrow because I didn't have time to wait last week.