Slow power button response iMac late 2013

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mogens, May 19, 2017.

1. mogens macrumors member

Hi
    I just noticed that my power button response has increased to around 9 seconds before I hear the startup sound. Everything runs as usual and loading system after the sound is fast.
    I tried to reset SMC and run Apple Hardware test (CMD+D) but no problems were reported.
    Before the issue, I ran Bootcamp with windows 8.1 from an external SSD and updated the system with a couple of restarts. I wonder if Windows could have messed up the power supply somehow?

iMac 27" i7 late 2013,
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
    Capitan 10.11.6

2. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

Windows can't mess with the power supply in anyway. The waiting time for the chime means some diagnostic task is taking longer than usual.

If you have had external boot media attached, the Mac may have thrown the default boot, and setting that might speed it up. Open System preferences and choose "Startup disk", in here choose your Macintosh HD (You might need to unlock the padlock in the lower left corner.)

A PC would just refuse to boot, before it got help repairing the boot sequence, where a Mac, when it isn't given a default boot volume, just starts searching for something to boot from, that might be the reason for the wait time.

3. nambuccaheadsau, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Go with Lunder89's suggestion.

Sometimes booting from an external can upset the selected boot drive in Disk Startup.

4. mogens thread starter macrumors member

Thanks..I have the correct disk in system preferences. I'll try to create A new user account tomorrow and start up from that to see if that helps.

5. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

It will always be there. Is it highlighted in blue, or listed first?

6. mogens thread starter macrumors member