Slow printing from MBP to network PC-atrached printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slobizman, Jul 7, 2008.

1. slobizman macrumors member

I have my MBP on a network (wireless network bridged to Ethernet network) where a PC has an attached HP Deskjet 6122 printer. In my MBP preferences it shows the driver as "HP Dskjet 6122 - Gutenprint v.1.3". Seems like everything is set up fine.

However, while I can print from my MBP to the printer, it's prints much more slowly than printing directly from the PC to which the printer is attached. It's sounds almost as if it is printing an image, not text, very slowly and precisely.

I'm new to Macs, so I don't know if this is normal or I'm not set up right. Can anyone advise me?

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

In theory, you should have a driver actually from HP, and not the gnutenprint driver, I think.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=83027&os=219&lang=en

I would try deleting the printer from the Mac in the printers & fax area of the System Preferences, and then add it again, this time choosing the driver from the list of HP drivers, not the generic Gnutenprint drivers.

Give that a shot.

3. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Couple problems:

1) The page you listed does not provide a download for the driver.

2) The page says that OS X has the driver as part of the OS, however, there is only the Gutenprint version.

4. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

my printer is connected to an airport base station and i get quite slow printing too. i also have to use an guttenprint driver as my cannon model isnt supported. it sucks, but happens. wireless printing is slower than hard wired printing in my experience....

5. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Interestingly, when I print from a wireless PC notebook, it's faster than the Mac.