Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malfaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
today i tried to play HD trailer of ironman 1080p mkv file . through vlc and it keeps stopping and dropping frames infact i didnt see anything and i got the message from vlc "too slow computer". i am encountering the same thing with motion 3, even without rendering just previewing some templets and its very slow. i have leopard with 5g of ram.
even most pro softwares are not that fast, when i spent around 3700 i expected really fast pc. its ok but i expected more especially when view HD movies.
thanks for your ideas

malfaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
my graphic card NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256mb. so my question can i do anything about it. like will upgrading the graphic card will solve the problem.

malfaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
another question? you guys with the newest mac pro 2.8 xeon is playing 1080p smooth by all means or you have some drops. even if its smooth i feel bad selling my quad g5 coz i think i will lose alot of money.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
another question? you guys with the newest mac pro 2.8 xeon is playing 1080p smooth by all means or you have some drops. even if its smooth i feel bad selling my quad g5 coz i think i will lose alot of money.

Welcome to the computer market, they deprecate in value, they do not go up in value!!! There are a FEW expectation but they are rare. Almost all computers lose there value during time. You could sell your Quad core and you might get 2000 ~ 2400 for it but it depends.

Just as an estimate, I just upgraded from a G4 to a Power Mac Dual 1.8Ghz G5, and I only paided 600 bucks for it.

I would say if you have to be able to do 1080p HD content, sell your Quad G5 and see about getting a new Mac Pro from the 2799 it is. Or you could buy a used one Mac Pro, the 4 core will do what you want and it will also be fast. You really don't need 8 cores unless you are doing professional video editing, etc.

My Dad has the Quad Core Mac Pro and it can play 1080p content without any problems.

Just my two cents

-iGrant

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006

Mac pro handles 1080p movies like its nothing!! :D

Even my 17" mbp handles it with ease! :D

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think everyone needs to calm down with the 'your computer is too old' stuff....

My Dual G5 2.5Ghz PowerMac (older and less powerful than the one quoted above, with a worse video card too) handles 1080p trailers fine... so I think something else might be the problem here.

Apple's own recommendations for HD video say:

For 1920x1080 (1080p) video at 24 frames per second:
QuickTime 7 for Mac OS X:

Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 or faster Macintosh computer; 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster
At least 512MB of RAM
128MB or greater video card

malfaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
thanks everyone was really helpful. let me be more specific, its ironman trailer, amazing quality thats why its 112mb for just 2:25sec. i think Porco might be right because i remember playing trailer from apple without problem i will try it now. and yes i do alot of editing in Final cut studio 2 thats why i bought the quad. not professional work to be honest but rather as a hobby. and i find motion 3 to be slow. even the rendering in final cut pro isnt what i expected. i would want to wait for the mac pro to come with blu ray burner, i dont know if that coming soon or not.

malfaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
i forgot to mention that i played this trailer with VLC coz quick time dont have this format(mkv). and i got the message " ffmpeg: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)". also my camcorder canon HV10 record 1080p and playing on this quad no problem but maybe the trailer is higher quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.