Slow quitting of applications

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by zstar, Dec 16, 2010.

1. zstar macrumors member

I have a 13" macbook air ultimate and often when quitting apps it seems the system stalls or hangs for a while (not long, but noticeable. imagine counting 3 seconds after pressing Command+Q or the quit button before the window finally disappears). It is starting to get to the point where it is frustrating and just plain irritating.

Occasionally after issuing the quit command, the spinning beachball appears which I have NEVER, EVER seen on my macbook air for any other task I have done on it. (albeit I am a fairly lightweight user) Makes me wonder what is so taxing about quitting an app on my macbook air which doesn't flinch when others are editing photos in photoshop on it.

This is also, my first mac and so am not completely sure what is the norm for OS X behaviours. Do let me know comments or your suggestions.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is not at all normal. Applications shouldn't take that long to quit, unless they have significant shutdown work to do (Lotus Notes and BetterZip both fall into this category). Occasionally iTunes will take a while to quit if an iPod is connected, and it is being synced.

That said, do you have any Menu Extras installed? Those can hold up the quit process if they're badly written.